cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper
I already stated before, Lansweeper currently doesn't offer any option to communicate with the user himself and I really need this for installations which need the user to restart or do something else.
I tried to create a workarround with a small local program.

What the installer-package does: the installer itself runs as administrator, before the installation it creates a textfile on the local temp-folder containing the names of the programs that need to be updated/installed.
What the separate information-package does: this package runs as the logged on user and opens the information-program (self-creation). I thought I could send this package before the regular installer-packages.
What my script does: it wait until the textfile exists. As soon as the file exists it opens it, reads all the lines and shows a gui with the information. That's all.

I'm fine with such a solution if it would work, but the point is: it doesn't.

1. When I run the information package, it waits for the gui to exit, but what I wanted to do is show the user a progress-bar on the gui so that he knows that something is still in progress so he doesn't shut the computer down. But that means the gui cannot exit during the installation and that again is impossible because this way 2 packages need to be active at the same time. For sure I could also just create another package that just shows the user when the installations are completely finished but that means that I 1st have to create another package and 2nd I need to schedule 3 packages exactly after each other and that's impossible.
  2. When I run any packages on user level Lansweeper seems to open a window called "taskeng.exe". I think this is some kind of console-window that Lansweeper uses to run the commands in the package, but why does it show up? Can't this be opened in background?

[img=https://googledrive.com/host/0B7PHD4ClepwLfmlsY1AxUVN3ZUU2QmRHWUVPdksxODQ5b21hcmlkNTZINHB1TGlEbG8xcTA/24.06.png][/img]

I really appreciate the possibility to deploy without the need of an agent on the end-device, but if that means, that I also have to renounce any kind of user ineraction I could also go back to our old solution with logonscripts.

I waited a few weeks now and checked the forum daily for other posts about this and it seems like nearely noone else is having this issues. How does everyone else work arround this? Do you just force-close the applications when an update needs to be installed or do you just cancel when the program is running?
I know this might be a solution for software that is rarely in use, but with a package like microsoft office or equal which some users generally have opened about 90% of the day?

Any idea/input?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The easiest to communicate to the user during the execution of a package is using a command step with the command
Msg.exe * Message to be displayed.

You could do this at the beginning and at the end of your installation. The next step will start after the message was displayed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PeterJG
Champion Sweeper II
Just to clarify for others.. taskeng.exe isn't lansweeper process.. its native windows Task Scheduler process.
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper

Yes, that's how we do it right now. But let's be honest:
does not look professional in any way. Not the text, but the message box itself.

Additionally this kind of message box also doesn't allow any user interaction, it says "we do.." not "can we...?".
I am aware of this option, but when I make boxes like this popup, users are going to panick no matter what is written there (9/10 wouldn't even read before they call).

I would prefer servicedesks option to run a package out of another package. But even then, the taskeng.exe windows should not show up for the user, what is/does it anyways?

Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
The easiest to communicate to the user during the execution of a package is using a command step with the command
Msg.exe * Message to be displayed.

You could do this at the beginning and at the end of your installation. The next step will start after the message was displayed.
servicedesk
Champion Sweeper II
I'm also looking for that, my workaround is a Lansweeper package that creates a schedule task to run at start up.

If a "current logged on" package (for the gui stuff) could trigger a "scanning credentials" package would be great.