cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moss
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi Lansweeper Admin,

I have tried searching all over web but could not find a solution. Do you have any recommendation as to how would I be able to integrate IPAD scanning with lansweeper. I would like to audit all my assets with a barcode scanner and an IPAD and would like to carry an IPAD and make an inventory and the later sync it to the lansweeper database and vice versa. Do you know any app that can do this or does the new version of lansweeper have this capability to sync with an IPAD.

Any help would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
Joycebeck
Engaged Sweeper
tjpatgpoaj
Engaged Sweeper
If we want to integrate a barcode reader on ipad and other tablet devices, we need to be sure that the barcode scanning program is compatible with mobile and tablet devices, if yes, things will be very easy, if no, the barcode reader may won't work altough it is successfully installed. http://www.businessrefinery.com/products/barcode_reader_net/main.html
ict1
Engaged Sweeper
Hi,

Also looking at tracking iPads as assets in Lansweeper.

Have entered assets manually, which works to a degree.

When creating a manual asset, you can enter the IP address, (which may change due to DHCP), but not the Mac address, (which won't change)?

Also, I understand that it would not be possible to track an iPad as it is not a domain device or has an admin account hidden in the background.

Would Lansweeper consider a client app to assist in tracking the asset?

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,

Barry.

ICT @ Canford
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
ict@Canford wrote:
When creating a manual asset, you can enter the IP address, (which may change due to DHCP), but not the Mac address, (which won't change)?

In Lansweeper 5.1, you can manually submit the MAC address as well. Our latest 5.1 installer can be found here: http://lansweeper.com/Download.aspx
This is a release candidate, but you’ll be able to upgrade to the final 5.1 release when it becomes available. Upgrade instructions can be found on page 165 and beyond of our online documentation: http://www.lansweeper.com/documentation.pdf

We recommend performing a database backup prior to upgrading, just to be safe. To take a backup of your database:
• Create a copy of Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\SQLData\lansweeperdb.sdf, if you are using SQL Compact as your database server.
• Right-click on the lansweeperdb database in SQL Server Management Studio and select Tasks\Back Up, if you are using SQL Server as your database server. If SQL Server Management Studio isn’t installed on your Lansweeper server, we recommend downloading it online. (You will need to perform a search for the Management Studio that’s compatible with your particular edition and version of SQL Server.)

ict@Canford wrote:
Also, I understand that it would not be possible to track an iPad as it is not a domain device or has an admin account hidden in the background.

Lansweeper can't scan any iPad data, if this is what you're asking.

Lansweeper can discover any network device that has one or more of the following protocols enabled: FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, JetDirect, SIP, SMTP, SNMP (SNMPv1, SNMPv2 or SNMPv3), SSH or Telnet. This is done through IP Address Range Scanning. On iPads, no protocols can be enabled. Lansweeper *may* detect the device, but will categorize it as an “unknown device” or “network device”. You can manually change the device’s device type to iPad.
• Submit your IP ranges for IP Address Range Scanning in the Configuration\Scanning Setup\Scanning Methods section of the Lansweeper web console and hit the Scan All Enabled IP Ranges Now button to initiate an immediate scan.
• To change an asset’s asset type, hit the Edit Asset button on the asset page, choose the appropriate option from the Asset Type dropdown and hit the Save Asset button on the left.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
In Lansweeper 5.1, which we hope to release by the end of the month, you will be able to manually assign assets to users.
mjphelan
Engaged Sweeper II
So version 5 is out now (and very good it is too) and yes we can now add any Asset manually

How about a small change to the Edit Asset and Add new Asset pages so we can manually allocate a user to the asset?

Probably with a check to validate that the asset was manually entered ;o)

Many Thankyous ;o)

MP
moss
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi Admin,

Please make Version 5 release soon.............I cant wait for the role based feature...I have seen previous posts from June 2010 and version 5 was stated then as well.....is there a specific date that this might be release......I find it hard to manage all assets in this because of the permissions issue, we cant give access to everyone else..

Please can U let us know a rough estimate that Version 5 will be released....

Kind Regards,
Moss
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You can create a new device type and add the devices manually.
sandve
Engaged Sweeper III
Lansweeper wrote:
You can create a new device type and add the devices manually.

We may have to consider that; but iPads (and other non Microsoft OSes) are computers and do not fit the device mold.