cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gilian
Product Team
Product Team

Hi everyone!

Lansweeper is delighted to announce the availability of its new IT Agent in your Lansweeper Site, now in Preview. Track your hard-to-reach assets using the IT Agent which tracks the details of a single computer running Windows, Linux, or Apple MacOS and sends these directly to your Lansweeper Site.

How to access IT Agent in your Lansweeper Site

1. Open a browser and navigate to https://app.lansweeper.com.
  2. Choose the Lansweeper Site to which you want to link the IT Agent Discovery. 
  3. Go to Scanning > Discovery systems > Download installers/packages > IT Agent Discovery

A brief explanation

• Learn how to install/deploy IT Agent here.
  • After a successful installation, the IT Agent(s) will be shown in your Lansweeper Site in Scanning > Discovery systems.

• To see the asset data, you can open Inventory > All assets (and you can use the search/advanced filter on the top right to filter on the specific assets/installation where IT Agent is running)

Product comparison

Lansweeper Network Discovery vs Lansweeper IT Agent (Portable) Discovery

Topic

Summary

Discover all IT (and later OT) assets in your network

Get all details of the computers you know that have IT Agent Discovery installed and running as a background service or daemon.

Planned, not available yet. Get all details of the computers on which you run IT Agent as a foreground application. Ideal to be included in a logon script

Asset reach

Tracks both the machine running Network Discovery and discovers IT (and later OT) assets remotely

Local computer tracking where the IT Agent Discovery is running

Local computer tracking where the IT Agent Discovery is running

Credentials

Requires credentials to get all asset details remotely

Does not require credentials

Does not require credentials

Network access

Requires specific ports to be open on the assets to discover. See 

Few connectivity requirements. See 

An encryption key from a Lansweeper Network Discovery - Hub component. Either direct access to the hub or a location to store the discovery result file in, for later import.

Request for feedback

It's time for us to let you try and test this new feature. We hope this first version will give you an easy-to-deploy agent-based discovery.

Finally, we're all ears! Your feedback is valuable, and we'd love to hear it.

Feel free to share in the comments or share your logs and screenshots privately to preview@lansweeper.com

Kind regards,

Gilian De Raes
Product Manager | Lansweeper

93 REPLIES 93
SimonJuulLarsen
Engaged Sweeper

Another issue is that devices with IT-asset installed results in a lot of notifications when they go offline / come online again.

It would be nice if these messages could be supressed/ignored/excluded.2024-02-07 15_45_35-.png

Hi @SimonJuulLarsen ,

Thanks for mentioning. We're going to exclude the IT Agents from those system notifications so we only focus on scan servers there.

SimonJuulLarsen
Engaged Sweeper

When planning for remote / push installation of the IT Agent, it doesn't make sense that the Cloud Linking Code is only valid for 24 hours.

That means you have to update your deployment script every day.

Please consider the option of creating Linking Codes with a customized expiry date for this purpose.

Also, when the installer fails because of an expired linking code, no usable return codes / error messages are sent back.

@SimonJuulLarsen 

We've extended the linking code duration so you can now choose how long a single linking code should remain valid (1 day, 1 month, 3 months, ...)

Go to Scanning > Discovery sources > Link discovery source. Select Create new code, set an expiration and select Copy code.

Hi @SimonJuulLarsen , we are indeed adding the option to set an expiration timing of your personal choice for the linking code to your Lansweeper Site. Our development team is currently reviewing their solution so it keeps ensuring a secure way to have new data entering your Lansweeper Site. We expect to have this solution implemented soon. Until then, a linking code expires every 24h.

The installer does return specific exit codes and error messages which I now added above, in the FAQ section of the original post.

MilesFromHome
Engaged Sweeper

Any chance we could get a walk-through for Intune Deployment like this article specifically for IT Agent? I followed similar steps with IT Agent, and i must be missing something with the install command or somewhere else along the line.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll ask my colleague Esben if he can make a similar article for IT Agent.
The install command should be the one mentioned in method 2:

1. Lansweeper-IT-agent-discovery-X.X.X-windows-x64-installer.exe --mode unattended --accepteula 1 --path "C:\Program Files\Lansweeper IT Agent Discovery" --cloudtoken cloudtokenvalue

I'm also having trouble trying to get the IT Agent deployed via Intune, I've tried used the script section in Intune, also trying to package the app as WIN32 app to no success. The error when trying to do it via WIN32 app is pointing to an error in the install command. "The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)"

My Install command for the WIN32 app is the one you pasted above, (with my details and version.)

eputz
Engaged Sweeper III

@ndeering We've been successfully deploying via Intune as a Win32 app using commandline of 

Lansweeper-IT-agent-discovery-0.12.0-windows-x64-installer.exe --mode unattended --accepteula 1 --cloudtoken %linkingcodevaluegoeshere% 

You'll note we missed off the -path attribute as we found that our deployments were failing with that and the ITAgent still installs to C:\Program Files\Lansweeper IT Agent Discovery without needing to specify path.

There is one issue we're having and that is that installs are failing after a while and it appears related to the linking code (cloudtokenvalue) no longer being valid so we're having to generate a new linking code and update that value in our Win32App install commandline

@Gilian - is there a specific lifetime on the generated cloudtoken value used for ITAgent installs? Also is the 500 client limit now removed? Thanks for your help.

@eputz thanks for sharing the command for intune. Perhaps it has an issue with the backslash as that's usually to escape the next character. So you could still try to install using double \ instead:

1. Lansweeper-IT-agent-discovery-X.X.X-windows-x64-installer.exe --mode unattended --accepteula 1 --path "C:\\Program Files\\Lansweeper IT Agent Discovery" --cloudtoken cloudtokenvalue
As for the linking code: our development team is reviewing a solution to increase the duration while still ensuring secure deployments. I'll update the FAQ in this community post once done.

As for the limit of 500 IT Agents, that was removed mid January so you can link as many IT Agents as you like to your LS site now.