cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jvanb
Engaged Sweeper
Hello Forum,

In our company we are using the standard report "Errors: RPC unavailable" to view which computers we are having trouble to connect with.

The problem we are having is that the standard output is not enough, because there are two reasons why you get a RPC unavailable error.

Reasons are: "Computer is offline or firewalled" / "Computer is online but firewalled".

Is it possible to get the "Errors found while scanning" message in a report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
You can ping the computers within the report results with the Ping Assets button to determine whether the error is "offline or firewalled" or "online but firewalled".
  • "Offline or firewalled" means that the computer isn't responding to a ping request and doesn't have the required ports open.
  • "Online but firewalled" means that the computer is responding to a ping request, but doesn't have the required ports open.

You can't write the exact error message into the SQL query itself, as the ping status isn't stored in the database. When you open an individual computer webpage, a ping is performed. I would have to double-check with development, but I'm assuming it's only when the page is loaded and the ping is performed that the console decides whether to display "offline or firewalled" or "online but firewalled". A guide for actually resolving the scanning errors can be found here.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jvanb
Engaged Sweeper
Hello Susan,

Thanks for your reply! this clears things up. I can see that the computers who are really offline also have a ping error, I can also see that the RPC unavailable and ping are different error types.

Is it possible to select only the computers who are online but firewalled? So the computers who have the RPC unavailable AND the ping error should not be shown.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
You can ping the computers within the report results with the Ping Assets button to determine whether the error is "offline or firewalled" or "online but firewalled".
  • "Offline or firewalled" means that the computer isn't responding to a ping request and doesn't have the required ports open.
  • "Online but firewalled" means that the computer is responding to a ping request, but doesn't have the required ports open.

You can't write the exact error message into the SQL query itself, as the ping status isn't stored in the database. When you open an individual computer webpage, a ping is performed. I would have to double-check with development, but I'm assuming it's only when the page is loaded and the ping is performed that the console decides whether to display "offline or firewalled" or "online but firewalled". A guide for actually resolving the scanning errors can be found here.