cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freemand
Engaged Sweeper
Hello, I am a sysadmin for a small public school system with nearly 1200 desktop & laptop computers all running Windows 2000 or XP, and I have setup Lansweeper on one of our desktops for the purposes of evaluation.

I am currently using the free version, but curious as to how the features in the free version compare with the "not-free" version.

I am at the point of having just completed the initial setup. I understand from reading a previous post that you can't manually scan in the free version, so I have it set to scan the handful of desktops on our network with near 24x7 uptime, so I'll see what information it polls over the next couple of days. (It seems like there would be an initial scan performed when a computer is added, but I guess not?)

My big question is toward Active Directory Synchronization. I don't see any way right now to make Lansweeper look at AD contents (particularly computer names) and add/remove them from it's own database.

I understand there is a method of exporting AD, and you can probably import those contents into SQL. (I'm not a SQL jockey, but I'm sure given enough time at the taxpayer's expense ( 🙂 ) I could figure it out.)

My overall point is that AD has become such an integral part of the workplace, some form of seamless AD integration into Lansweeper would make for a much more polished and valuable product. (I'm already pretty impressed with it's built-in capabilities, and particularly interested in finding what software is out there on our network compared to what licenses we have - some of our IT staff in the past have not been what you would say, honest citizens with our licensing.)

Then again I could be completely wrong, and just looking in the wrong place for AD synch.
Any insight to smooth me along with the evaluation process is appreciated. Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
techtoy_al
Engaged Sweeper
I have installed the premium version, and don't see how you import the information from AD, is there any docuemnts on using the \premium version as i cant find any.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
techtoy_al wrote:
I have installed the premium version, and don't see how you import the information from AD, is there any docuemnts on using the \premium version as i cant find any.

Are you using the latest version?
Please check the file properties of your lansweeperservice.exe, the description should read "lansweeper premium server"
Using this will automatically scan your active directory computer details.
nilesf
Engaged Sweeper
I am running LS 3.2 Premium. Active Scannning is running, but I do not see any details in the "Active Directory information" fields.

Please advise,
Niles
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The current information wan't pull computer info out of AD.
Version 3.5 will do this