cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
I have installed SQL Express 2005 on a Windows 2000 non-domain box, installed the Lansweeper DB and the web service here. Then we are going to install the Service on multiple Win2003/SBS 2003 servers, which are of other domains via IPSEC tunnels.

We got the first tunnel setup, went to install the service, and it kept saying failed to connect. Was able to ping the server "MONITORING" and "MONITORING\SQLEXPRESS" works to install the Service on the same machine as the DB, but I never completed the install as it isnt needed there, and it's Win2000. I put "MONITORING\SQLEXPRESS" in as well, and it says connection failed. We also tried to start the install on another machine in the same network, but these machines are not on a domain (on a workgroup), it also had the same issue to install.

So I got to wondering if this needs to be SQL auth as there are multiple domains involved. I dropped the DB and uninstalled Lansweeper, but when I tried to re-install as SQL auth, it kept failing to connect to database during install. I saw the other post about so I tried both "MONITORING" and "SQLEXPRESS" by themselves, but that didn't work for me. We also have SQL 2000 installed on this same server. When clicking the dropdown though it only sees MONITORING\SQLEXPRESS. I have no issues re-installing as Windows auth if I wanted.

What is the best way to install Lansweeper for multiple services on multiple domains?

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
How could the username be wrong if you are creating the DB and user during Lansweeper install? Or am I missing something?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The bug in the installer was that the user had a wrong username (that's why the service couldn't be installed)
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
Dont know, going to take some time to figure out how to do that. There isnt any database present wont I need to create a database or something before I can connect?

It seemed like this was the bug on the other thread with the installer you stated that to someone else to just put the instance name or something like that, but didnt work for me.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Can you connect with odbc, access, ... to the sql server with sql authentication?
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
I'm not able to install the DB on the DB server with SQL Auth. I can install it fine with Windows Auth.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Are you able to connect with any other program to the database? (odbc connection, ...)
Maybe it's a problem with your ipsec connection.
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
OK, that's what I tried last. But can't get it to connect to DB. Mixed mode is on.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Best would be to install the database using sql authentication (make sure that mixed authentication is enabled on the sql server)
Let the services connect to the sql server using sql authentication (you can configure the connectionstring in the lansweeper31.exe.config file)