cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
I have installed SQL Express 2005 on a Windows 2000 non-domain box, installed the Lansweeper DB and the web service here. Then we are going to install the Service on multiple Win2003/SBS 2003 servers, which are of other domains via IPSEC tunnels.

We got the first tunnel setup, went to install the service, and it kept saying failed to connect. Was able to ping the server "MONITORING" and "MONITORING\SQLEXPRESS" works to install the Service on the same machine as the DB, but I never completed the install as it isnt needed there, and it's Win2000. I put "MONITORING\SQLEXPRESS" in as well, and it says connection failed. We also tried to start the install on another machine in the same network, but these machines are not on a domain (on a workgroup), it also had the same issue to install.

So I got to wondering if this needs to be SQL auth as there are multiple domains involved. I dropped the DB and uninstalled Lansweeper, but when I tried to re-install as SQL auth, it kept failing to connect to database during install. I saw the other post about so I tried both "MONITORING" and "SQLEXPRESS" by themselves, but that didn't work for me. We also have SQL 2000 installed on this same server. When clicking the dropdown though it only sees MONITORING\SQLEXPRESS. I have no issues re-installing as Windows auth if I wanted.

What is the best way to install Lansweeper for multiple services on multiple domains?

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
Wahoo! I now have a working Lansweeper install!

BUT, the script didn't work.

To install the script I just double clicked the SQL file since SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE) 2005 was already the handler. I used Windows auth to connect to the DB and it ran successfully.
I then looked at the DB and logins with SSMSE and noticed No logins! So I created one by hand... But this appears to be the whole problem. Since I didn't create the exact username/password that the Installer used, nothing else worked right.
So through further troubleshooting I actually just figured out how to install via SQL Authentication using the installer, and with only one snag, everything is up and running!

SQL Auth install process:

- Enable the account "sa" and set it's password.
- Verified that SSMSE can log into the database using this account using SQL Auth.
- Ran the installer for Database on database server. Used "sa" account with SQL Auth. No errors! Comment: Asking to verify password gives impression you're setting one, not entering an existing account.
- Ran the installer for Service. One error:

Lansweeper service install
Error: [SC] StartService FAILED 1069:The service did not start due to a logon failure.

So per other thread, I updated the login info (specifically just the password), and bam! The service started immediately.

Ran LSCLient <server> and got success. Verified via web interface that computer was in DB. Full success!

So it seems the confusion is about How to install with SQL Auth, and a bug in the Service installer for the service account.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You can download the sql script to create the database,views, ... on this link : http://www.lansweeper.com/sqlscript.zip
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
bump (Thanks!)
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
Sent you a PM, thanks!

Just wanted to add, I was just now able to see if the Service was even working, appears not. I tried "http://localhost:9524" on the server it was installed and nothing. It also takes a long time to "Start" in services.msc. I tried Re-installing the service again as the Login was now stored in the service. No error this time, but still same situation.

I went ahead and uninstalled Lansweeper everywhere, and I dropped the DB and all relevant users, awaiting scripts.

Thanks!
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I'm currently investigating this issue, in the meantime if you PM me I can give you the sqlscripts to create the database.
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
An update! 🙂

I tried once again to run the installer on the other server in the same network (workgroup, not a domain), and the installer connected to the DB fine! We did some testing with PortQry remotely on the other side of the tunnel, found that SQL browser was reporting back correctly. So we wondering if this was still a AUTH issue. We ended up creating a user account on the database server that both username and password matched as the user I was logged into on the server we wanted to install the service. This worked finally! I did get an error "1069" about not being able to log into the service during install. But I just manually re-entered the logon info for the service and it started OK. We finally have a completed install!

However, this makes me wonder... Why did I have to do some sort of Windows Authentication to get it to talk? I would like to use SQL authentication. I guess at worse we will have to create matching usernames on all the machines we install it on, but that just doesnt seem right to me.

Thanks!
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
Wanted to add I also checked the SQL Browser service. Using portqry I see that it's running on UDP port 1434. There is no firewall on this machine as it is Windows 2000 and we didnt install one. I double checked the settings in the documentation (Enabling TCP/IP etc), all looks good.

Thanks
tom719co
Engaged Sweeper
Here's an update:

On the Database Server I tried to install Lansweeper Database as SQL Auth again, said connection failed. So I went into SQL Management Studio Express 2005, and created a test user "lstest". I then logged into SQL Management Studio Express with that user successfully using SQL Auth. So I tried something else. I tried to install Lansweeper Database using this username, I put the user, then the password and confirmed it and then it said that connection succeeded! Then I proceeded through and got a lot of errors during install, saying could not create database, and then errors that could not connect to database. Since the DB was dropped this user's default DB was set to "master" and I figured it was some kind issue with the account setup. So I got to thinking... Windows Auth install works, why cant I *install* that way, and then just create a seperate SQL Auth user? So that's what I did. Successfully installed Lansweeper Database and Website on the Database server with Windows Auth. The Website connects fine. I created a new user "lansweeper", set to SQL Auth. Set a password, and made sure everything about the user looked the same as lssqluser31. (Database, schema, etc.) I then crossed my fingers, went to the server on the other side of the tunnel, started Install and it failed right away again...

But this got me thinking... The Service installer is Not asking if I want to install via Windows or SQL Auth. So how could it even know I have SQL Auth setup? So I wanted to test that there are no firewall or other issues with the IPSec tunnel...

I can telnet to "MONITORING" port 1938 fine.

SQL Management Studio Express 2005 is already installed. So, I started it, put "MONITORING\SQLEXPRESS" manually in even though it couldn't find it on it's own (even in Network tab). I chose SQL Auth. I put in username "lansweeper" and the password I set and Voila! I got into the DB in this manner.

How is the Service Installer checking connection to server before asking if it is Windows or SQL auth? Is it looking on the wrong port? I tried "MONITORING\SQLEXPRESS, 1938" in Lansweeper Service installer, but that didnt work either.

Thanks!
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The bug in the installer is not the issue that you are having.