cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pentel
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi,

Is it possible to change the ASPX/HTML code on the 4.0 website? I tried opening the .aspx files, but all I get when I open them with notepad is the following line :

This is a marker file generated by the precompilation tool, and should not be deleted!

Is there a way to modify the code directly or will this new version require some sort of program to edit these? One of the major reasons we bought Lansweeper was it's ability to be customized, including the web console in version 3.x. If this is not possible then I am not sure this will be a good incentive to upgrade to version 4.0...

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Latest beta has the aspx source uncompiled.
trt
Engaged Sweeper
How about ability of customizing (adding, changing, removing) various links at the bottom of the main page?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
We were discussing an alternate option:
How about a special (more expensive) version 4.0 license that allows you to get and change the website source code.

Ideally this won't be necessary and we build all customer requirements into the base product.
pentel
Engaged Sweeper III
Lansweeper wrote:
We were discussing an alternate option:
How about a special (more expensive) version 4.0 license that allows you to get and change the website source code.

Ideally this won't be necessary and we build all customer requirements into the base product.

I'm sorry, but aren't these needs already inputted in the FREEWARE version? shouldn't the members version at least have this, since most of the members features can potentially be added one way or another? (such as the report builder for example, someone with low SQL skills can create new reports when he knows how it works)

By making the source ASPX/HTML code available (to members or to both), I honestly don't think you are losing a big amount of money since most of the code is in the Lansweeper app and not the web console. The web console is just a gateway to see this information. Your software is not too expensive, please keep it affordable since it is a great tool for inventorying a network 🙂

Thanks
Facilities
Engaged Sweeper III
@ Lansweeper

15 won't be enough. We are currently using 19 at the moment.
We will be expanding as we acquire and use more software in the future.

Managing our assigned liceses via the custom fileds is the only way which we can actually tell who is licensed for what product and version.

We have to do this as our Microsoft licenses come from:
1. Gold partner licenses
2. Volume Licenses
3. MSDN licenses
4. Technet licenses

These include:
1. Operating systems
2. Office products
3. Devlopment tools
4. Server products
5. User CAL's
6. Application specif CAL's

So we create fields for each product from each disrtibution channel and assign those to workstations and servers. We then keep counts and make sure that we don't go over our allocations.
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
This has so far been one of my biggest complaints about v4. Being able to customize various things in the website was a big bonus to using LS, but they now pre-compile the code. I've been wondering if this is is specific to the included webserver, or if it is the same if you opt for using IIS. Haven't had the time to test it.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
taeratrin wrote:
This has so far been one of my biggest complaints about v4. Being able to customize various things in the website was a big bonus to using LS, but they now pre-compile the code. I've been wondering if this is is specific to the included webserver, or if it is the same if you opt for using IIS. Haven't had the time to test it.

It's the same for both.
pentel
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi Lansweeper,

Thanks for the quick response... I would like to change the web interface to our company's needs and have the ability to modify it whenever something new needs to be done. Unfortunately we don't have a design set in stone yet as we are still experiencing with it and are trying to set it up as well as possible, for our needs. We also have new modules to add and so from time to time we requires interaction from the aspx code.

Such examples of this is having different logos for the priority sections, changing the OS report from the right tab to the left one, renaming the titles of reports such as General reports to something else, and the list goes on.

If possible, would it then be possible to move each part in the web console (a bit like sharepoint) so they can be easily moved at least? If this could be done, then we would also need a way to add new code to the page. This would be an alternative to directly editing the aspx pages.

Thanks
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
@facilities: in this case we increasing from 10 to 15 custom fields should do the trick?