cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
I was wondering what the generally accepted way of upgrading / changing computers for people is when it comes to NOT confusing lansweeper.

Example.
BOB has a PC called bobpc.
We give bob a new pc, usually called bobpc2 .
sometimes we will want to rename things sooner than later so we do not forget so...

rename on pc on domain bobpc->bobpcold.
rename pc on domain bobpc2->bobpc (after its all ready to go).

In some cases I've noticed lansweeler notice a pc changed names..(i think?) and in most cases It justkeeps the OLD name and then puts in the new one but sometimes it thinks the pc has lots of changes instead of being a new pc.

A few times I've tried the RENAME option in lansweeper on the old pc before renaming on domain the new one.

personally, it would be nice if it just realized that the pc changed by it's ID on the domain.
In the case I totally change a pc it is nice to keep the old info. But in the case when the pc name changes I don't really need to keep the old entry anymore as its a new pc. Why see OLDPC-inactive...

I'm also confused why ourlansweeper always shows 2 entries for every computer when you search ..
example,
MYPC
DOMAIN - IPADDRESS
and
MYPC
MYPC - IPADDRESS

is this normal?
3 REPLIES 3
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The rename in lansweeper is instantaneous
danielm
Champion Sweeper II
Does the Rename take affect in all of lansweeper right away or is there any timing issue.
can I just wait a minute and then rename the pc on the domain after lansweeper.

thanks
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
To proper way to do it:

1) rename in Lansweeper first
2) Rename the actual computer