cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khipkins
Engaged Sweeper
I have upgraded to version 1.5 of Lansweeper, the users are being entered into the database but no PC data is being collected, the error below is in the Event Viewer.

Any ideas ?

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <username> using any of the configured protocols.
12 REPLIES 12
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I've seen this error before when you use the lsclient with a local user instead of a domain user.
khipkins
Engaged Sweeper
I have been looking through our system and noticed that the username e.g. hipkink1 is registered as the IP address, currently our clients do not register themselves in DNS. The previous version used the computername to connect to the machines. Any idea why the username is in the IP field ?
Kenny
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
My french is very bad, but I can give it a try
My dutch is good
logar
Engaged Sweeper
Going to try this out before the weekend .:-)

just a little off topic question for you smikkel, do you speak french ?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
maybe you can try with a gpupdate /force or gpresult
khipkins
Engaged Sweeper
We do not have AD at the moment, we are upgrading soon - we are using an NT4 single domain. Our client machines are mostly W2k and XP with a few old NT4.
I was aware that the AD functions would not work for us, but the inventory information was excellent. The only information I get now is the computername and logon information for every time the client is ran on the PC via the logon script.
logar
Engaged Sweeper
khipkins wrote:
We do not have AD at the moment, we are upgrading soon - we are using an NT4 single domain. Our client machines are mostly W2k and XP with a few old NT4.
I was aware that the AD functions would not work for us, but the inventory information was excellent. The only information I get now is the computername and logon information for every time the client is ran on the PC via the logon script.

I have a w2k domain here and 2 of my clients are doing this. All my clients run win2k pro or XP (except 1 computer stuck with win98 to run a custom software ans 1 CNC running NT4). My errors come from 2 windows 2000 clients. Other clients work fine.

I will try to track down a bit more information as soon as I have spare time. For now I think it may be GPO related... I will start investigating this way... I think my 2 clients may have som GPO set for the local computer that are not set normally by the domain...

As soon as I have comething I'll get back here to write it.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Could you describy your network?
Active directory/clients, ...
khipkins
Engaged Sweeper
In the Tsyserrors table each computername has 'The RPC server in unavailable' error, a few also have 'The network path was not found' but only a few have this.

I have also notices that in the Event Viewer on the server there are DCOM error messages that read :

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer bucktop1 using any of the configured protocols.

bucktop1 is a username, there are hundreds of errors in the event log with different usernames.