cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwalker
Engaged Sweeper
I have installed Lansweeper onto my server using the documentation provided. The web console comes up and everything on the server seems to be ok but when I try to run the lsclient.exe from the workstations, it comes back failed trying to connect to the to server. I have tried using the IP address and the hostname of the server with no luck. I have also tried running the server app using Administrator and lanscanner as the user to try and eliminate permission problems. I have tried this on three different workstations using Windows 2000, XP SP1 and XP SP2.

All help would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
logar
Engaged Sweeper
Well I finaly got it 100% working 🙂 (by disabling IISlockdown tool, which is not really an obligation on this server since it wont serve any webpages to the web )

logar
Engaged Sweeper
Ok now got it to work ! Only have problems with webconsole, but I am starting to think this could be an issue with IISlockdown policy... going to run IISlockdown tool to see if I am right 🙂

mostly the problem with other components is gone but I feel weird about it... The only thing I did to make it work is download the 16/02/2005 Client/Server files in the old stuff... copy/pasted my current config to it and tadam ! works great with the mose recent client and GUI . I am not sure I understand why it may have started working but it does 🙂

logar
Engaged Sweeper
I will make a test configuration at home to see if there is any way to make it work in another environment :w)

(hope i'll have time this weekend)

Until monday I wish you all a good weekend 🙂
logar
Engaged Sweeper
Also forgot to say, I only got a perimeter firewall which is used to filter internet access and to protect from internet access. LanSweeper in curently installed on a windows 2000 domain controller, Has terminal services activated in application mode, NAV corporate 9.0 (planning upgrade to 10 within next month), has Veritas BackupExec 10 installed with sql agent and 2 remote agent for other servers, runs an ERP made in VB6 that works with the standalone sql server. If any other ifos are needed, just ask it will be a pleasure for me to answer:)
logar
Engaged Sweeper
I know, I was just wondering where to put the lsscanner account password in order for lsclient to use it.. I have not seen any parameter tell lansweeper the password for the account lsscanner. Also I get error messages when I try to access webconsole, here is a quote of a small part of the webpage I see:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cannot execute a program. The command being executed was "c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe" @"C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\7452008a\ef1c569d\xtyr8ksk.cmdline".

and here is the message I recieve from the client (message shown by a client computer on the network when I test lsclient.exe):

-- LanSweeper client --

Connecting to 192.168.1.207: failed

here is my lswinap.exe config (changed password for ******, sql server and lswinap.exe run on server 192.168.1.207) :
When I press start button in this app, it doesn't produce any effect.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<!-- User application and configured property settings go here.-->
<!-- Example: <add key="settingName" value="settingValue"/> -->
<add key="ConnectionString" value="data source="192.168.1.207";persist security info=True;initial catalog=Lansweeper;user id=lsuser;password=********" />
<add key="ConcurrentThreads" value="20" />
</appSettings>
</configuration>

SQL server is MSDE that came with Backup Exec from veritas, I also tried a standalone SQL server (standard edition) which resides on another server...

I also tried LSserv.exe that also didn't work...

here is the config file I tried at last with the LSserv (also used the ip of my other sql server 192.168.1.22) and as you can see I tried different ways to mark the quotes within the file...:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<!-- User application and configured property settings go here.-->
<!-- Example: <add key="settingName" value="settingValue"/> -->
<add key="ConnectionString" value="Integrated security=SSPI;data source=&quot;192.168.1.207&quot;;persist security info=False;initial catalog=Lansweeper;user id=lsuser;password=********" />
<add key="ConcurrentThreads" value="20" />
</appSettings>
</configuration>

I am completely lost with this setup but I surely want it to work 🙂

Hope someone understands config files better than me.

thanks a lot in advance.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I wouldn't recommend black passwords :w)
It is never stated that you need a blank password
logar
Engaged Sweeper
I have the same kind on problem, I tried to user the service version of the server side application, hen I tried the LSWinap, I still get connection failed... Is there snything supposed to happen when I click on the start button in lswinap ? I have no firewalls installed on the server where lansweeper runs from, I get no error message from either server side application, so it's hard to troubleshoot. It must be a tiny little something... Do the user lsscanner need to have a blank password ? I didn't see anywhere how to tell client apps to use a dedicated password... (i dont want to give domain admin access to unpassworded account :w) )

hope anyone can help me :t)
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Eh maybe a stupid question, bur are you running lswinap.exe or lsconsole.exe on the server?
Have you pushed the start button?
cwalker
Engaged Sweeper
My server is not running firewall software as this is handled by our Watchguard firewall/router.