cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ITGuy
Engaged Sweeper
Hello Lansweeper Developers :-),
Hi. First let me say that the Lansweeper application has really impressed me -- the demo page looks awesome and I think it stands above the various other software / hardware inventorying applications out there. The only drawback is that it is killer to set up (or maybe it is just me :w) ). I can get the web interface displays the client name, but the only values in the web console are only errors that read, "The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)" and "The network path was not found." I have been trying to fix this for two days with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions? Here is my configuration, and thank-you in advance.

Sincerely,
Kenneth

When I run the Lswinap.exe file (while making sure that the lsservice service is off), I can see the status field change from "Idle" to "LOGON updated (0.0625)" in the Lansweeper Server screen. The Computer Name appears in the Lansweeper Console, but the only thing that appears are Extra -> Errors. So I turn on the service so that I can focus on the client. My server is in a workgroup. I have been trying to get this to work by running lsclient on another workstation. Then, for troubleshooting purposes, I tried to run both the service and client on the same server. I still end up with the same error.

Extra -> Errors: _______________________________
BIOS The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) 01-Aug-2006 4:14:13 PM
BATTERY The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) 01-Aug-2006 4:14:08 PM
BASEBOARD The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) 01-Aug-2006 4:14:04 PM
PROCESS The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) 01-Aug-2006 4:13:59 PM
FLOPPY The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA) 01-Aug-2006 4:13:55 PM
…
NOTE: This process continues for a total of 62 different ScanItems. Of these, 6 items (SOFTWARE, REGISTRY, IEBHO, IEBARS, IEEXT, IEACTIVEX) have the errors that read, "The network path was not found."

MSSQL SERVER IP: 10.12.30.62
CLIENT INSTALL: lsclient.exe 10.12.30.62
LSSERVICE USER NAME: lsuser // NOTE: lsuser is in the "Administrator" group // ALSO: lscanner is also in the "Administrator" group
MSSQL SERVER DATABASE ACCOUNTS: lsuser and lsscanner
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 2000 Server
PASSWORDS: The Windows lsuser and lsscanner accounts, and the MSSQL lsuser and lsscanner accounts all use the same password.

LSservice.exe.config: __________________________
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<!-- User application and configured property settings go here.-->
<!-- Example: <add key="settingName" value="settingValue"/> -->
<add key="ConnectionString" value="integrated security=SSPI;data source=&quot;127.0.0.1&quot;;persist security info=False;initial catalog=Lansweeper" />
<add key="ConcurrentThreads" value="10" />
</appSettings>
</configuration>

web.config: __________________________________
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_HANDLER_Lansweeper" value="sqlserver.htm" />
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_STRING_Lansweeper" value="Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=127.0.0.1;Initial Catalog=Lansweeper;User ID=lsuser;Password=lsuser" />
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_DATABASETYPE_Lansweeper" value="SQLServer" />
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_SCHEMA_Lansweeper" value="" />
<add key="MM_CONNECTION_CATALOG_Lansweeper" value="" />
</appSettings>
</configuration>

10 REPLIES 10
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
Sorry, I thought I put that bit of info in...

It only failed on that test when using the IP method
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
taeratrin wrote:
It only failed on that test when using the IP method

If it only fails for the IP menthod then I'm pretty sure it's a reverse lookup or other dns problem.
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
Just the computername. A reverse lookup turned up correct, so it shouldn't make a difference

Edit : OK, I tried as you suggested when I got into work this morning. The only one that failed was the Remote WMI access test, with the same error as before.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
taeratrin wrote:
OK, I tried as you suggested when I got into work this morning. The only one that failed was the Remote WMI access test, with the same error as before.

Did it fail for all three methods?
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
Sorry to bring this one back up again, but I am having this problem with 3 computers. They are all in the domain, I am a domain admin, no firewall, RPC Locator is stopped on all machines (about 300 don't have a problem with this), and $ shares are there. These machines are from different offices, on different subnets, in different OU's. No messages in errorlog.txt refering to these computer. The Connection Tester reports no problems. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going wrong. Any ideas?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
taeratrin wrote:
Sorry to bring this one back up again, but I am having this problem with 3 computers. They are all in the domain, I am a domain admin, no firewall, RPC Locator is stopped on all machines (about 300 don't have a problem with this), and $ shares are there. These machines are from different offices, on different subnets, in different OU's. No messages in errorlog.txt refering to these computer. The Connection Tester reports no problems. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going wrong. Any ideas?

Did you try the connection tester with computername, fqdn and IP address?
ITGuy
Engaged Sweeper
ohhh…..
… thank-you very much for that piece of information! Originally, my network was configured as a workgroup. I originally thought that I could get around the domain username issue by putting the Administrator, lscanner and lsuser accounts on the server & client machines with the same password across the network. Following your e-mail, I changed my workgroup into a domain and changed the server into a domain controller. I had a much, much, much, much better outcome: no errors & populated information fields of the computer's information.
Everything is now working great: your suggestion to use a domain fixed the problem! Take care and thank-you again for your prompt feedback. Your program is awesome.

Regards,
Kenneth
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I see the problem : You need to have administrative privileges on the clients, so a domain would work (I have never tested it with a workgroup)
ITGuy
Engaged Sweeper
Wow! You create this all by yourself? Good work. 🙂
Thank-you for your response. But my server is Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (sp4), and the workstations will all run Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional. I have not installed any firewall software on the server or workstations, and the server & clients are all on the same side of the physical firewall. I know that Microsoft included a firewall application in Windows XP (sp2), but I cannot find any Microsoft firewall software currently installed on my Windows 2000 Server / Professional machines. If there is a firewall block, would you please tell me where I can disable it in Windows 2000? Thank-you.

Sincerely,
Kenneth