cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PierreM
Engaged Sweeper III

We are using Lansweeper v3.5.2.4 and IE8 is not reported on some systems. We see no apparent OS pattern (Vista bus 32-bit, Win7 Pro 64-bit). When we look at the software installed on the computer, IE is not reported!

Fyi, when I look under "Add/remove programs", it doesn't show there either. I suspect this is a Microsoft issue but do you have a workaround to detect IE8?

Regards,
Pierre
12 REPLIES 12
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You can't scan hkey_current_user keys.
The easiest way is to file scan iexplore.exe
PierreM
Engaged Sweeper III
On my windows 7 PC, I was looking in the registry and found the following key that I hope will identify IE8. It's in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_MODE.
The "Name" is iexplore.exe and the "Data" is 8.

Can you please provide detailed instructions on how to scan PCs for this and the SQL statement(s) to build this custom report.

thanks
PierreM
Engaged Sweeper III
as an fyi,

Based on what I see in my listing, IE8 is only discovered on XP systems and servers prior to version Windows 2008.

As per this microsoft link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700), in windows 7, IE8 is a feature that is turned either off/on and will NOT be displayed in the standard "installed applications" window. I suggest that you enhance your program to also look elsewhere on the computer to detect IE8 and other Microsoft "features".

Maybe the above also applies to Vista and windows 2008 servers.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
If it is not in the add/remove programs it will never be listed in the list of software.

You can see the version if you create a report based on the scanned file "iexplore.exe"
PierreM
Engaged Sweeper III
Despite having done everything in this thread, IE8 is still not discovered for my computer. Like I said earlier, when I go into Add/Remove Programs, IE8 is not listed there either.

I even deleted my computer from the database and re-inventorized it without any success of discovering IE8.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Pierre
coutoj
Engaged Sweeper
Oh ok thanks. that completed successfully. Now how long until we see the IE8 in the software inventory?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
jasonc wrote:
Oh ok thanks. that completed successfully. Now how long until we see the IE8 in the software inventory?

You will need to do a file scan for "iexplore.exe".
Check the waittime for files to see how long it will take.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
In the configuration tool there is a tab "database scripts"
coutoj
Engaged Sweeper
I tried to create an odbc connection and also tried to connect with the MS SQL 2008 management studio to the SQLExpress database on my server without success. How can i setup a connection to the database?