→ The Lansweeper Customer Excellence Awards 2024 - Submit Your Project Now! Learn More & Enter Here

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
estinson
Engaged Sweeper II
I know this was answered before in the old version, however is there a way in the new version to make Lansweeper read the computer description from AD instead of getting it from the PC itself? Also, I was trying to change the SNMP community string, but it wasn't saving it. So I removed the default account and tried to add it back in. Now it shows as "not in use" and I cannot seem to find where to enable it...
4 REPLIES 4
estinson
Engaged Sweeper II
Both descriptions are scanned by Lansweeper 4.2 as well as 5.0; they're just stored in different tables. The local description is stored in tblComputers/tblAssets, the AD description in tblADComputers.

So is there a way to make the website use tblADComputers for the computer description? The reason for this is multiple users can log into the workstations. When using the search with a username, it brings up a list of all the workstations that user has logged into and it's not readily apparent which workstation is assigned to a particular user. We enter the user in the description in AD when a workstation gets assigned out.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
estinson wrote:
Both descriptions are scanned by Lansweeper 4.2 as well as 5.0; they're just stored in different tables. The local description is stored in tblComputers/tblAssets, the AD description in tblADComputers.

So is there a way to make the website use tblADComputers for the computer description? The reason for this is multiple users can log into the workstations. When using the search with a username, it brings up a list of all the workstations that user has logged into and it's not readily apparent which workstation is assigned to a particular user. We enter the user in the description in AD when a workstation gets assigned out.

There is no built-in functionality for forcing tblADComputers.Description to be displayed in the web console instead of tblAssets.Description. You can however add the AD description to a custom report.
estinson
Engaged Sweeper II
Got it, somehow didn't notice where to add the scanning credentials! Still getting used to the new look! 🙂
The SNMP community string, I think was doing it correctly. I guess you cannot go back and check it after it's entered?
On the credentials page It always shows "SNMP Community String" for login. When I click "edit credential" the window that comes up just makes it look like there is only a 5 character community string. Ours is 8 characters, so I was thinking it did not save it.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
estinson wrote:
I know this was answered before in the old version, however is there a way in the new version to make Lansweeper read the computer description from AD instead of getting it from the PC itself?

estinson wrote:
Also, I was trying to change the SNMP community string, but it wasn't saving it.

Could you clarify which steps you took.

estinson wrote:
Now it shows as "not in use" and I cannot seem to find where to enable it...

"Not in use" means that your credential isn't mapped to anything. Lansweeper cannot know when to try a credential if it isn't mapped. You can map the credential to your IP ranges in the IP Range Scanning section of the following webpage: Configuration/Scanning Setup/Scanning Methods. (Hit the green + button next to an IP range.)