cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pentel
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi,

Is there a way to scan using Lansweeper registry keys located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER in Windows 7 computers? By default the remote registry service is not started, but I fix that by having a logon script that starts the service. Even with the remote registry service running and being able to access the registry remotely, Lansweeper doesn't pick up values or keys in HKCU, could anyone help me with this?

On our Windows XP computers the HKCU keys scan correctly and I manually checked that the keys in our Win 7 computers do exist.

We are using Lansweeper 3.5.1 if this differs from version 4 or 4.1 for registry scanning.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
pentel
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks for the very quick replies (couldnt even edit that post in time!), I will start looking if there are any permissions that I can set for this to mirror those in XP.
pentel
Engaged Sweeper III
Since it scans fine in Windows XP, isnt there a way to scan in Windows 7 as well? or are you simply saying the the service account in XP allows to do this while it doesn't in 7?

Actually we get alot of this error in the errorlog.txt file :

12/06/2010 10:43:29 AM: COMPUTER Access denied 
at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
at System.Management.ManagementObject.InvokeMethod(String methodName, ManagementBaseObject inParameters, InvokeMethodOptions options)
at LansweeperService.MdlRegistry.LSRegistry(LS_Computer& mycomputer, String section, SqlConnection& sqlcon)

Thanks
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
pentel wrote:
12/06/2010 10:43:29 AM: COMPUTER Access denied

This is caused by the service account not having the needed security to read a registry key.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
pentel wrote:
Since it scans fine in Windows XP, isnt there a way to scan in Windows 7 as well? or are you simply saying the the service account in XP allows to do this while it doesn't in 7?

It doesn't scan fine in XP, it scans the same registry key as in windows 7.
Most likely the scanning account has the value you are searching for in windows XP computers.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The HKCU registry key refers to the NT user performing the scan, this is most likely the service account and not the user actually logged on at the workstation.