Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martin
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi,

I've just upgraded 4.0.0.11 to the latest one and here are my comments:

- after the upgrade had finished I couldn't open the LS website
After a short investigation I noticed that the file web.config was different from the old one. First difference: missing Data Source value, the second difference: missing the authentication section (the LS website must be accessed by domain admins only). But after the manual tune-up of the file the website opened fine.

- the IIS settings were overwritten as well (in my case Integrated Windows authentication checkbox got cleared)

- the installation program said it's updating ver. 4.0.0.11 to 4.0.0.17 but now the LS website says 4.0.0.16;
I know it's a very minor issue but you might want to know;

LS is installed on W2k3 SP2 Standard Edition.
I was running the upgrade twice: first time I upgraded all but the website and the LS website opened fine; second time I re-ran the installation to upgrade the website only. And then the above issues turned up.

But summarizing - all working fine now and I like the bug fixes.

By the way, I was going to ask about this earlier but never had time: after around 30 minutes of inactivity LS seems to have problems 'waking up', it takes ~5 sec. to open a link or look up a user/PC. After that it's working fast. To me it looks like a database issue however I didn't have that problem with ver. 3.52; but on the other hand the beta database was placed on a different server where the LS installer installed SQL Express and created that database from scratch. I tried to divide the IP ranges to smaller chunks in LS Configuration but it made no difference. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Martin
3 REPLIES 3
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Thanks, found the problem
Martin
Engaged Sweeper III
web.config from LS 4.0.0.11 got overwritten. And I do not have the 'corrupted' one but I will try to re-create (AFAIR).
I'm attaching the following files:
web.config(1) -> from LS 3.52 which is still running in a production env.
web.config(2) -> the dodgy one created during the upgrade 4.0.0.11 > 4.0.0.17
web.config(3) -> the one repaired by me which seems to be working OK

If it comes to the performance issue - I looked through event logs for any sql server warning/error messages but found nothing. At the time when the 5-sec pause happens no event are getting generated too. The system event log has plenty of the following errors:

DCOM got error "The RPC server is unavailable. " from the computer (IP's of some PC's on our ntwrk) when attempting to activate the server:
{8BC3F05E-D86B-11D0-A075-00C04FB68820}

But they do not get logged at the time the "delay" problem occurs.

Martin
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
- after the upgrade had finished I couldn't open the LS website
After a short investigation I noticed that the file web.config was different from the old one. First difference: missing Data Source value, the second difference: missing the authentication section (the LS website must be accessed by domain admins only). But after the manual tune-up of the file the website opened fine.

Could you post your original web.config file please.
Was the original setup also on 2 different servers?

By the way, I was going to ask about this earlier but never had time: after around 30 minutes of inactivity LS seems to have problems 'waking up', it takes ~5 sec. to open a link or look up a user/PC. After that it's working fast. To me it looks like a database issue however I didn't have that problem with ver. 3.52; but on the other hand the beta database was placed on a different server where the LS installer installed SQL Express and created that database from scratch. I tried to divide the IP ranges to smaller chunks in LS Configuration but it made no difference. Any ideas?

Please check the eventviewer for sql server related events.