cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidr521
Engaged Sweeper
I have a Dell PowerConnect 5224 (as an example) which the discovery tool discovered using the wrong OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10895.4 instead of 1.3.6.1.4.1.133.34.213.15.4).

I'm assuming that this is because it (the device) responded to that OID first?

When I go to edit Device Details, the OID (wrong one) shows, but doesn't let me change it.

Please help...

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
davidr521
Engaged Sweeper
Any plans?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
davidr521 wrote:
Any plans?

Device scanning will be overhauled in one of our future updates. We are considering adding functionality to let you specify your own OIDs for scanning. We currently have no release date for this feature though.
davidr521
Engaged Sweeper
Isn't there any way to change it?

For example, I was able to access another device, but it only gave me rudimentary information. However, when I do an SNMPWALK from Unix against that same device on a different OID (one further up in the "tree"), I get a whole ton of info.

For example:

1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10895.3003 only returns *basic* info about another device. However, when I point SNMPWALK at 1.3.6.1.4.1, that same community string tells me all I could ever want to know about the device, namely manufacture date, etc., things that are crucial to asset management (my sole use of LanSweeper).

Can that be done?

Please advise and thank you.

Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
davidr521 wrote:

1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10895.3003 only returns *basic* info about another device. However, when I point SNMPWALK at 1.3.6.1.4.1, that same community string tells me all I could ever want to know about the device, namely manufacture date, etc., things that are crucial to asset management (my sole use of LanSweeper).

Can that be done?

Currently: no
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper does the following:

1) try snmp community on ip address ("public" by default)
2) the device responds to snmp, great!
3) Hi device, what's your OID?

It's actually the device telling to lansweeper: this is my OID.

Can you post the output of "devicetester.exe" to this ipaddress please.
davidr521
Engaged Sweeper
I just explained.

I have a Dell PowerConnect 5224 (as an example) which the discovery tool discovered using the wrong OID (1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10895.4 instead of 1.3.6.1.4.1.133.34.213.15.4).

I'm assuming that this is because it (the device) responded to that OID first?

When I go to edit Device Details, the OID (wrong one) shows, but doesn't let me change it.

Is LanSweeper only reliable for Windows devices?

Please advise and thank you.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
I'm not sure I understand the problem, can you please give more details.
davidr521
Engaged Sweeper
?

But it's the wrong device. How can it be the right OID?

The information I posted was from right within LanSweeper...
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The OID is hardcoded in the device and is returned by an snmp query.
There is no way to change this (or you have to change something on the actual device)