cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThermoSteve
Engaged Sweeper

Hi All,

I've a weird problem with 3 of my assets.
The 3 assets are QNAP NAS from the same type, they have different IP's, MAC and FQDN.
2 of them have the same Hostname.
2 are in the same IP-Range (different Hostname).
Each IP-Range has it own scanning server (Version 10.2.4.0) .
Only 1 NAS is shown in my asset list after a automated scan.
If I add them manual each got a row in the asset table and a different unique key,
but when I do a scan, 2 assets are dropped and 1 remains.
If I add then one of the dropped again, the existing one is replaced by the new one after a rescan,
and I get the Error at the end of the scan, that the asset no longer exists in the DB.
In the Database Table the id stays the same, but all the data is replaced even the uniqekey column.

BR
Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

This sounds like a merging issue.

In general, when Lansweeper or LsAgent scans your assets (or when an asset is created manually), a unique identifier is created based on the scanned/submitted information. For non-Windows assets, this unique identifier is the MAC address of the asset (if Lansweeper was able to scan this information or if this information was provided). If the MAC address is not available, the IP address will be used instead.

When saving the scanned information in the database, Lansweeper will first check if this unique identifier already exists. If this is the case, the existing asset will be updated, and if not, the new asset will be added.

With this in mind, if a (newly) scanned asset (or one of the linked components) shares one (or more) MAC address(es) with another asset, the scanned asset will have the same identifier and will as such merge or update the existing asset. When an asset is merged into another asset, this should be listed in the Comments tab of the asset that still exists. Please note that there has to be an exact match, Lansweeper doesn't assume similar MAC addresses to be the same. 

In some scenarios, the default merging logic can be quite aggressive.

We’ve expanded the existing merge logic in version 9.2 and added an additional check on the serial number. This means the new logic will check on both the scanned MAC addresses and the scanned serial numbers to determine if non-Windows assets need to be merged. If two devices share MAC addresses, but Lansweeper detected different serial numbers during the scan, then they will no longer merge. Please note that manual serial number edits will not be taken into account for the new merge logic. Only serial numbers that were detected during scans are used.

The new merge logic is not enabled by default (yet) as we're still gathering feedback from customers.

However, you can enable the new merging logic as follows:

• First, ensure that your Lansweeper installation is up to date.
    • Before updating, create a backup of your installation, just to be safe.
  • Go to Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Tools on your Lansweeper server and run ConfigEditor.exe.
  • In the Service tab, click Add under AppSettings.
  • Enter NonWindowsDuplicatesNewMerge with a value of 1 and hit Add.

NewMergeLogicNewMergeLogic

• Hit Save configs and restart service and confirm by hitting Yes in the window that pops up. 
  • Rescan the IP range(s) containing the non-Windows assets that were merging. 
  • Check if asset pages were created for the devices in the scanned range(s) that were previously being merged into other devices.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MattRichardson
Product Team
Product Team

Hi @ThermoSteve ,

Happy to hear that you found a solution, as @Obi_1_Cinobi says above, we have added some new capabilities to improve our merging logic that uses serial number however I am currently working on a larger project to improve our merging capabilities even further and would like to hear some examples from you and other customers on the type of problems we need to be aware of and potentially also have a discussion about our plans.

If you're interested, please send me a message and we can discuss in more detail.

Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

In general, when Lansweeper or LsAgent scans your assets (or when an asset is created manually), a unique identifier is created based on the scanned/submitted information. For non-Windows assets, this unique identifier is the MAC address of the asset (if Lansweeper was able to scan this information or if this information was provided). If the MAC address is not available, the IP address will be used instead.

When saving the scanned information in the database, Lansweeper will first check if this unique identifier already exists. If this is the case, the existing asset will be updated, and if not, the new asset will be added.

With this in mind, if a (newly) scanned asset (or one of the linked components) shares one (or more) MAC address(es) with another asset, the scanned asset will have the same identifier and will as such merge or update the existing asset. When an asset is merged into another asset, this should be listed in the Comments tab of the asset that still exists. Please note that there has to be an exact match, Lansweeper doesn't assume similar MAC addresses to be the same. 

In some scenarios, the default merging logic can be quite aggressive.

We’ve expanded the existing merge logic in version 9.2 and added an additional check on the serial number. This means the new logic will check on both the scanned MAC addresses and the scanned serial numbers to determine if non-Windows assets need to be merged. If two devices share MAC addresses, but Lansweeper detected different serial numbers during the scan, then they will no longer merge. Please note that manual serial number edits will not be taken into account for the new merge logic. Only serial numbers that were detected during scans are used.

The new merge logic is not enabled by default (yet) as we're still gathering feedback from customers.

However, you can enable the new merging logic as follows:

• First, ensure that your Lansweeper installation is up to date.
    • Before updating, create a backup of your installation, just to be safe.
  • Go to Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Tools on your Lansweeper server and run ConfigEditor.exe.
  • In the Service tab, click Add under AppSettings.
  • Enter NonWindowsDuplicatesNewMerge with a value of 1 and hit Add.

NewMergeLogicNewMergeLogic

• Hit Save configs and restart service and confirm by hitting Yes in the window that pops up. 
  • Check if asset pages were created for the devices in the scanned range(s) that were previously being merged into other devices.

Hello Obi,

thanks for the info, I was on my way to post how I fixed this after stumbling across this thread
Merging of assets .

I fixed it by enabling the SNMP service on the QNAP, after that I was able to add all 3 assets,
a serial number was found in the solution you mentioned.

What I don't understand is, I checked the devices with the Device-Tester and found only similar but not ident MAC-addresses.

Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

If the device tester does not show all shared MAC addresses, you can also identify the shared MAC addresses by making use of the interface debugger tool which can be downloaded via the link below. Run the tool directly from your Lansweeper server towards the IP addresses of the assets in question, using your scanning credentials:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mn5ium1nyphalh9/InterfaceScanDebugger.zip?dl=0

Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

In general, when Lansweeper or LsAgent scans your assets (or when an asset is created manually), a unique identifier is created based on the scanned/submitted information. For non-Windows assets, this unique identifier is the MAC address of the asset (if Lansweeper was able to scan this information or if this information was provided). If the MAC address is not available, the IP address will be used instead. More information on this unique identifier can be found in the following knowledgebase article: https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/how-lansweeper-uniquely-identifies-assets/

In some scenarios, our default merging logic is a bit too aggressive. We’ve expanded the existing merge logic in version 9.2 and added an additional check on the serial number. This means the new logic will check on both the scanned MAC addresses and the scanned serial numbers to determine if non-Windows assets need to be merged. If two devices share MAC addresses, but Lansweeper detected different serial numbers during the scan, then they will no longer merge. Please note that manual serial number edits will not be taken into account for the new merge logic. Only serial numbers that were detected during scans are used.

However, you can however enable it as follows:

Image_2022-02-22_15-42-17.png

• Check if asset pages were now created for the devices in the scanned range(s) that were previously being merged into other devices.