cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CelesteMcCloy
Engaged Sweeper II

I am very new to Lansweeper being given this app to support 2 weeks ago.  Daily I see Other Scanning Issues reported. The majority of the issues are the Print Spooler service.  This service is disabled by default per a cyber policy set.  Is there a way to exclude this service in scanning to reduce the number of issues found?

9 REPLIES 9
Obi_1_Cinobi
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

Hello there!

This scanning error is related to disabling the print spooler service. Most likely to mitigate this vulnerability: https://www.lansweeper.com/vulnerability/printnightmare-bug-exposes-domain-controllers/

The scanning error indicates that there was an issue in obtaining the Printer information for this asset. When the print spooler service is not running on an asset, the WMI classes Win32_printers and Win32_PrinterDriver do not exist. Lansweeper queries these WMI classes when scanning printer data. This has a functional impact in that a scanning error is thrown, as you are seeing now.

If it is crucial for you to scan printer data, you would need to ensure that the print spooler service is running on the asset. Do keep in mind that this scanning error does not prevent Lansweeper from completing the scan though. It is just missing printer data.

If printer data is not essential, you could disable the 'PRINTERS' and 'PRINTERDRIVERS' scan items in the Scanning\Scanned Item Interval tab. This will disable the scanning of these WMI classes altogether and should also ensure that you no longer see the scanning error on your assets.

Thank you for responding and the detail.  I have disabled both Printers and PrintDrivers.  I see that there is was a scanning interval set for each one.  I am not sure if that is the reason the errors still appear.  I am monitoring the daily scans and reading up on forum information.  

Is there a reason that in Lansweeper a service cannot be excluded from scanning to specifically set not to scan?  

rader
Champion Sweeper III

The general error is the issue. Somewhat generic unfortunately. Find what is common between the machines that are throwing the errors and that may help narrow it down.

I also have my print spooler services disabled for the machines that don't need to print and the errors I get are as follows:

IssueIssue Message
PrinterSpoolDisabledErrorNo information found. Check if print spooler service is enabled and running on the asset and rescan the asset.

So based on this info I would say the the issue probably isn't the print spooler.

floridaman
Engaged Sweeper

Have you looked under Scanning>Scanned Item Interval>Printer drivers? Try disabling that.

Greetings again. Thank you for the suggested solution. I did remove Printer Drivers from scanning last week and allowed scans to run.  The solution did not resolve the issue.  Errors continue to appear.  

CelesteMcCloy_0-1680539897304.png

@CelesteMcCloy did you try any of the follow up suggestions? let us know what worked(or not)

Greetings. Apologies for the delayed update.  I've been out of the office.  Checking the scanning reports today, the entries still appear.  I see there is a scanning interval set which might be the reason.  Again, I am brand new to Lansweeper and learning as I go. 

Hello @CelesteMcCloy  thanks for keeping us in the loop - In that case I would recommend following up with our support team in case it is a unique situation Contact Support - Lansweeper IT Asset Management I will close this chat now you're more than welcome to start a new topic if you have something else to add 

I have not and will check that setting and reply back if it is successful.  Thank you.