cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DA
Engaged Sweeper
I just started evaluating Lansweeper and it looks good - especially good for a free product.
Is there any documentation though beyond the pdf that comes with the download. Some basic questions have arisen for me and I'd be glad to find the answers myself if they are available.

- The pdf shows the management console but doesn't explain much about it. I located lsmanage and ran it and I'd guess that the management console is for configuring what gets outputted in the web console. Is that accurate?

- Why is mixed SQL authentication required?
- What's an "unauthorized administrator" (displayed in the Digital Dashboard)? I have eight of them and I don't know what's unauthorized about them.
- I work as a technical consultant and this software will be useful to go into a company and find out what they have. Generating a report for the company would be very useful too. Is there any capability to output reports in some user friendly form?
- Related to working with multiple companies' infrastructures, is anyone using Lansweeper to monitoring multiple remote/untrusted domains? Besides a VPN connection to the untrusted site, is there anyway to run the console at a central site and securely monitoring remote sites. Opening port 135 wouldn't seem to be a viable option.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
JuMz
Engaged Sweeper
taeratrin: Thank you for your response. I was missing the SQL Management Studio Express. I have found all the info I need to formulate my queries (for now).

Where I lack understanding is how to implement them in the lansweeper page (right now, I am just writing my 'supposed' SQL Statements in notepad).

Is there documentation available (in PDF or online) that describes how to associate custom queries to the reports section of the dashboard? Thanks.
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
JuMz : OK, one thing that is not clear in the beginning is that, in order to get custom reports, a decent understanding of SQL and SQL Management Studio Express are pretty much required if you have the free version. The first one I'll leave to you, the second can be found here:http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displaylang=en

DA : If you're still around, why wouldn't the login script work? If it's because they don't utilize a domain, Lansweeper is only designed to work in an AD domain environment. Otherwise, you might want to check out my deployment program located here :
http://www.lansweeper.com/forum/yaf_postst627p2_Deployment-tool.aspx

JuMz
Engaged Sweeper
Where is a document that shows what table names are available etc?
How to add the report to the console? how to format it etc?

All I seem to have is the 'installation' manual for the application itself...(how to configure SQL, login script, etc)
DA
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for the reply and information.

Regarding going to a customer site, what would be the quickest way to "discover" all computers in the environment? Adding an entry to user login scripts wouldn't work in such a scenario.

Regarding documentation is there any beyond the pdf?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
- The pdf shows the management console but doesn't explain much about it. I located lsmanage and ran it and I'd guess that the management console is for configuring what gets outputted in the web console. Is that accurate?

Yes, you can use it to change configuration settings, add/change reports/sortorder,...
- Why is mixed SQL authentication required?

The webconsole connects to the database using sql authentication.
- What's an "unauthorized administrator" (displayed in the Digital Dashboard)? I have eight of them and I don't know what's unauthorized about them.

You can set which users you allow to be administrator in the lsmanage console.
- I work as a technical consultant and this software will be useful to go into a company and find out what they have. Generating a report for the company would be very useful too. Is there any capability to output reports in some user friendly form?

There is a report explorer in the premium user pack (and there will soon be a report builder)
- Related to working with multiple companies' infrastructures, is anyone using Lansweeper to monitoring multiple remote/untrusted domains? Besides a VPN connection to the untrusted site, is there anyway to run the console at a central site and securely monitoring remote sites. Opening port 135 wouldn't seem to be a viable option.

I think a site to site VPN will be the best option, or a service installation on each site which connect to a central DB (you only have to open the sqlserver port)