cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nyla
Engaged Sweeper
Hello.

We are using Dell Monitors in our Company. We import all assets with the predefined xlsx.
However we run into a rather inconvenient problem: all monitors get a random Unique Key instead of the MON:DEL:XXXXXXXXX.

The model causing us problems is the Dell P2715Q. We even tried scanning one of those monitors, delete it from lansweeper and enter all data (like serial number, manufacturer, assetname) in the excel-file like the scanned monitor had. Not even this worked.

Could you give us a little insight in this?

We are using Lansweeper v. 5324.

Thanks in Advance
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
The internal ID of a scanned monitor is Mon:<monitor manufacturer>:<monitor serial> as you indicated, while the internal ID of a manually generated or imported asset without a MAC or IP is a randomly generated string. I'm not sure whether it's an oversight that manually generated monitor assets use a different internal ID than scanned monitors, or whether there's a specific reason for this. I'm assuming it's just an oversight. I'll ask development to change this behavior so that all monitor assets use the same internal ID format and recommend that you enable the update check under Configuration\Your License to be notified of any new releases.

As a workaround, you could let Lansweeper scan the monitors and then manually edit those monitor assets, if your goal is to add extra data to them. You won't be able to use the import feature for this, as this feature can only be used to import new assets, but you can edit the assets by either:
  • Hitting the Edit Asset button on individual asset pages.
  • Clicking the Assets link at the top of the console and hitting the Editing Mode button on the left. This allows you to insert data directly into the page.
  • Clicking the Assets link at the top of the console, ticking the checkboxes in front of the assets and hitting the Mass Change button on the left. This allows you to set the same field value for multiple assets at once.
  • Running a script under Configuration\Database Scripts. We cannot provide support for writing custom scripts though and recommend backing up your database prior to running any scripts, by following these instructions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nyla
Engaged Sweeper
Hi Susan,

did anything change with lansweeper 6 in that topic?

Lansweeper is pretty useless for us if we are unable to find out when we bought the monitors, how much they cost and which inventory number was assigned to them.

We really want to rely on lansweeper as our main asset management. Editing everything manually or running scripts (which has a possibility to corrupt the database) is not an option...
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
The internal ID of a scanned monitor is Mon:<monitor manufacturer>:<monitor serial> as you indicated, while the internal ID of a manually generated or imported asset without a MAC or IP is a randomly generated string. I'm not sure whether it's an oversight that manually generated monitor assets use a different internal ID than scanned monitors, or whether there's a specific reason for this. I'm assuming it's just an oversight. I'll ask development to change this behavior so that all monitor assets use the same internal ID format and recommend that you enable the update check under Configuration\Your License to be notified of any new releases.

As a workaround, you could let Lansweeper scan the monitors and then manually edit those monitor assets, if your goal is to add extra data to them. You won't be able to use the import feature for this, as this feature can only be used to import new assets, but you can edit the assets by either:
  • Hitting the Edit Asset button on individual asset pages.
  • Clicking the Assets link at the top of the console and hitting the Editing Mode button on the left. This allows you to insert data directly into the page.
  • Clicking the Assets link at the top of the console, ticking the checkboxes in front of the assets and hitting the Mass Change button on the left. This allows you to set the same field value for multiple assets at once.
  • Running a script under Configuration\Database Scripts. We cannot provide support for writing custom scripts though and recommend backing up your database prior to running any scripts, by following these instructions.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now