cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spritelightning
Engaged Sweeper
I would like to know it the free version of Lansweeper can be installed on an XP Pro machine and still scan the network properly Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. In other words can lansweeper work independently without being installed on the domain controller or other primary servers - the reason for this is they do not want any additional apps installed on the server itself, yet would still like to try out the inventory software capability's of lansweeper , which means it need be installed on an independent 'client' PC to scan the network. The server is a single 2003 domain controller with about 50 Clients on XP

Thanks in advance & Looking forward to your reply's, comments, or suggestions

5 REPLIES 5
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You can download the documentation from http://www.lansweeper.com/documentation.pdf
If you can't get it to work please post specific errors or screenshots.

You can also download version 4.0 beta from the forums.
Charlie
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for the quick response. Right now I'm just try to scan the machine that I installed Lansweeper on and I can't even do that. Where is the step by step instruction?
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
You can install Lansweeper on any machine in the domain, but if you're not using active scanning, you still need somewhere to tell the clients to check in with the server. Best way to do this is though the login script located on the DC. This does not mean that Lansweeper needs to be located on the DC, just the script (in the script, you tell the client which server to check in with).
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Yes, no problem to install on xp.
Best would be that it's a domain member.
Charlie
Engaged Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
Yes, no problem to install on xp.
Best would be that it's a domain member.

So how do I install on stand alone computer instead of a login script from the DC? I've read this link and so far it talks about running a login script off of the DC server. I think Lansweeper has a lot of potential but installing and running the application encounters frustration.