cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ribarra
Engaged Sweeper
So I have read and looked up on the forum how to do this and I found these steps:

1. Create a report listing important servers. There is a built-in report "Servers: All Servers" in the Reports tab that
you can base your query on.

2. Use Asset Collection Scanning, which is documented here, to re-scan the servers in the report every X number of minutes.

3. Add a report to your dashboard with the Data Report widget that lists any important servers that haven't been
successfully scanned in the last X number of minutes

The third step is where I get stuck, as when I add the report it shows me all our servers online. However I would like it to generate an email when the server was not able to be scanned and not just show it on the dashboard.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated, and I do have version 6.

Thanks in advanced.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper doesn't directly monitor when a server is down, but you could indeed work around this by scanning specific critical assets every X minutes, and setting up an email alert based on a report to shows assets that haven't been scanned in X minutes. We've added the steps below of how to go about this:
  • Create a static asset group for your most important assets under Configuration\Asset Groups and then have this group scanned every X minutes by setting up an Asset Group scanning target under Scanning\Scanning Targets. We recommend doing this for a limited number of assets, to guarantee that your assets can actually be scanned within this timeframe, if you're experiencing misreporting, we would recommend increasing the time in the report.
  • Create a report listing assets in the group that have not been successfully scanned in the last X minutes. These assets are presumably offline. We've included a sample report below that you can add to your Lansweeper installation by following these instructions. You'll just need to fill in the name of the asset group and you can change the number of minutes.
  • Set up a scheduled email alert for this report under Configuration\Email Alerts, that sends every X minutes as well. The report will only be sent if it has results, i.e. if there are offline assets. This article explains how you can set up email alerts.

Select Top 1000000 tblAssets.AssetID,
tblAssets.AssetName,
tblAssets.Domain,
tsysAssetTypes.AssetTypename,
tsysAssetTypes.AssetTypeIcon10 As icon,
tblAssets.Username,
tblAssets.Userdomain,
tblAssets.IPAddress,
tblAssets.Firstseen,
tblAssets.Lastseen,
DateDiff(mi, tblAssets.Lastseen, GetDate()) As LastSeenXMinutesAgo,
tblAssetGroups.AssetGroup
From tblAssets
Inner Join tblAssetCustom On tblAssets.AssetID = tblAssetCustom.AssetID
Inner Join tsysAssetTypes On tsysAssetTypes.AssetType = tblAssets.Assettype
Inner Join tblAssetGroupLink On tblAssets.AssetID = tblAssetGroupLink.AssetID
Inner Join tblAssetGroups On tblAssetGroups.AssetGroupID =
tblAssetGroupLink.AssetGroupID
Where DateDiff(mi, tblAssets.Lastseen, GetDate()) > 5 And
tblAssetGroups.AssetGroup = 'default group' And tblAssetCustom.State = 1
Order By LastSeenXMinutesAgo Desc

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Bruce_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper doesn't directly monitor when a server is down, but you could indeed work around this by scanning specific critical assets every X minutes, and setting up an email alert based on a report to shows assets that haven't been scanned in X minutes. We've added the steps below of how to go about this:
  • Create a static asset group for your most important assets under Configuration\Asset Groups and then have this group scanned every X minutes by setting up an Asset Group scanning target under Scanning\Scanning Targets. We recommend doing this for a limited number of assets, to guarantee that your assets can actually be scanned within this timeframe, if you're experiencing misreporting, we would recommend increasing the time in the report.
  • Create a report listing assets in the group that have not been successfully scanned in the last X minutes. These assets are presumably offline. We've included a sample report below that you can add to your Lansweeper installation by following these instructions. You'll just need to fill in the name of the asset group and you can change the number of minutes.
  • Set up a scheduled email alert for this report under Configuration\Email Alerts, that sends every X minutes as well. The report will only be sent if it has results, i.e. if there are offline assets. This article explains how you can set up email alerts.

Select Top 1000000 tblAssets.AssetID,
tblAssets.AssetName,
tblAssets.Domain,
tsysAssetTypes.AssetTypename,
tsysAssetTypes.AssetTypeIcon10 As icon,
tblAssets.Username,
tblAssets.Userdomain,
tblAssets.IPAddress,
tblAssets.Firstseen,
tblAssets.Lastseen,
DateDiff(mi, tblAssets.Lastseen, GetDate()) As LastSeenXMinutesAgo,
tblAssetGroups.AssetGroup
From tblAssets
Inner Join tblAssetCustom On tblAssets.AssetID = tblAssetCustom.AssetID
Inner Join tsysAssetTypes On tsysAssetTypes.AssetType = tblAssets.Assettype
Inner Join tblAssetGroupLink On tblAssets.AssetID = tblAssetGroupLink.AssetID
Inner Join tblAssetGroups On tblAssetGroups.AssetGroupID =
tblAssetGroupLink.AssetGroupID
Where DateDiff(mi, tblAssets.Lastseen, GetDate()) > 5 And
tblAssetGroups.AssetGroup = 'default group' And tblAssetCustom.State = 1
Order By LastSeenXMinutesAgo Desc

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now