cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveinJP
Engaged Sweeper III
Is there any potential harm in taking an existing installed Lansweeper Scanserver and stopping the service, changing the config file to point at a different database and restarting the service? I'm looking to migrate all of my current scanservers to point at a new database and to consolidate several regions that had dedicated SQL per region into one centralized database.

Example:

Beginning State

Region 1 Points to DB1
Scanner A
Scanner B
Scanner C

Region 2 Points to DB2
Scanner D
Scanner E
Scanner F

Region 3 Points to DB3
Scanner G
Scanner H
Scanner I

END STATE

All point to DB1

Scanner A
Scanner B
Scanner C
Scanner D
Scanner E
Scanner F
Scanner G
Scanner H
Scanner I
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Stopping the Lansweeper service, updating the database connection string in Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Service\Lansweeperservice.exe.config and restarting the service on all scanning servers should be sufficient. We would recommend ensuring that all servers are on the same Lansweeper version first. Update instructions can be found in this knowledge base article.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
We haven't tested this, but it is possible that it could. Running different versions of various Lansweeper components is a really bad idea. If your scanning server expects a certain database structure, but your database is on a different Lansweeper release, this could lead to unexpected scanning behaviors.
DaveinJP
Engaged Sweeper III
Would a difference in version between database and scanservers re-homed this way potentially cause installed software to be reported incorrectly?

Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Stopping the Lansweeper service, updating the database connection string in Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Service\Lansweeperservice.exe.config and restarting the service on all scanning servers should be sufficient. We would recommend ensuring that all servers are on the same Lansweeper version first. Update instructions can be found in this knowledge base article.