cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esr
Champion Sweeper
We've got ~130 Surface Pros and are finding some odd issues with how they're seen by Lansweeper.

None report having battery to tblPortableBattery, tho they do report normal battery.

Some, random at this point, do not report a chassis type. Others do however.

Anybody else see similar results? It's possible we may have a large purchase of these coming up and I'd like to get a handle on how they're reporting their data before we get another thousand plus of them in our hands.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
I don't have a Surface table to test with at the moment, but portable battery and chassis details are pulled from the Win32_PortableBattery and Win32_SystemEnclosure WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) classes on the client machine itself. You can use our database dictionary to determine where specific data is read from.

Most likely, the aforementioned WMI classes themselves are not returning the information, which is something we can do nothing about. Perhaps a WMI repair will help. I'm not sure whether there are alternate classes we can get the data from. To verify what WMI is returning directly on the client machine, you can run "wmic path <name WMI class>" on the machine, e.g.:
c:\>wmic path Win32_SystemEnclosure

Win32_SystemEnclosure returns a number for the chassis type. The "translation" of these numbers can be found in this Microsoft article.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mshajin
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi

I have got the same problem with Surfaces getting picked up as desktops by LS. Did you manage to find a solution to this?

Thanks.
esr
Champion Sweeper
I'm very comfortable that it's the data being returned by the Surface's, and Lansweeper is presenting the data as accurately as it was found. I was mostly looking for some additional confirmation from other customers if these were common things, or just something here I need to get control of.

Thanks for the suggestion to scan the WMI directly. I'll look into that, as well as the repair option next time I have the opportunity.

Thanks Susan- Helpful as always!
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
I don't have a Surface table to test with at the moment, but portable battery and chassis details are pulled from the Win32_PortableBattery and Win32_SystemEnclosure WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) classes on the client machine itself. You can use our database dictionary to determine where specific data is read from.

Most likely, the aforementioned WMI classes themselves are not returning the information, which is something we can do nothing about. Perhaps a WMI repair will help. I'm not sure whether there are alternate classes we can get the data from. To verify what WMI is returning directly on the client machine, you can run "wmic path <name WMI class>" on the machine, e.g.:
c:\>wmic path Win32_SystemEnclosure

Win32_SystemEnclosure returns a number for the chassis type. The "translation" of these numbers can be found in this Microsoft article.