cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
njordur
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi, can you fix the population of the displayversion of the table tblSqlServers for SQL Server 2017. Doesn't seem to populate for me at least.

Also in the version its always displaying the lowest version of the current service pack or RTM for all version. Probably read from the uninstall key in the registry or current version in SQL registry. I know I can just do this myself, but I'd much rather have the real build number if possible from the product.

Like here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Bootstrap\Setup\PatchLevel
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\Setup\PatchLevel
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.INSTANCE\Setup\Version

/Njörður
5 REPLIES 5
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I tested it on my local installation and it does seem that SQL Server 2017 is displayed as just the Server edition (in my case "Express Edition") when scanned with LsPush (screenshot 1). However, this will be fixed in the next Lansweeper release. I did a test on the beta version and is displayed correctly there (screenshot 2).

Additionally as you mentioned, only LsPush scans are affected.

Screenshot 1:

Screenshot 2:

njordur
Engaged Sweeper III
I think I figured out the problem, when I use the Rescanning option from the website this works. However we are using lspush to scan all the servers. So the problem is rather with the lspush not populating this DisplayVersion field.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I did an install of SQL Server 2017 Express and rescanned my test machine and the version does seem to be displayed correctly as shown in the screenshot below.

As mentioned in the database dictionary this information is retrieved via WMI, as such if information is incorrectly, or not stored in the WMI class, Lansweeper will not retrieve it. However, as you mentioned you can get specific data through custom registry scanning but version number should be scanned correctly.

Lastly, you could try repairing your WMI if it seems to be corrupt. To do so you can follow the steps in this knowledgebase article: https://www.lansweeper.com/kb/47/How-to-repair-a-corrupt-WMI-installation.html

SQL server
njordur
Engaged Sweeper III
I'm running 6.0.100.98
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Please note that support for SQL server 2017 was added in version 6.0.100.87 of Lansweeper on 8 November 2017. Please make sure that your version is equal or higher than 6.0.100.87.

As for the service pack version, most likely if Lansweeper is reporting an incorrect service pack version, it is stored as such in the WMI. If information is stored incorrectly in the WMI, unfortunately Lansweeper will also display this incorrect information.

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now