cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UMTH
Engaged Sweeper
Im looking for a open source solution for imaging some hard drives around the office. Any suggestions on one that you really enjoy?
5 REPLIES 5
KRH
Engaged Sweeper
MS ImageX is free and works fine. It supports incremental images. We are using Windows Deployment Services in our environment. It's free too if you have Windows Server license.
Anonymous
Not applicable
NTBackup works great, it's not really a cloning tool, but it's free and it's available in all our computers. No down time, and doesn't disturb a lot the workstation being backed up.
Acronis and other products are more user friendly, but with ntbackup and a litle scripting you can do almost what you wish 🙂
i_kulgu
Champion Sweeper
I'm using Altiris Deployment Server.
You can do everything what LS can do + creating images from network computers, making executables, edit or create msi files for distribution etc.
I really enjoy it and it's for 'dummies'.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is some great software for this, but most of them you have to pay for it.
I'm currently testing NTbackup (the builtin tool on XP), I don't have any opinion on how safe it is, but it's simple to implement automatically or as a custom action...
rkotvis
Engaged Sweeper
If you only need to image a limited number of drives, Clonezilla Live (http://clonezilla.org) might be suitable. It's a bootable Linux CD (or USB key) which offers basically the same functionality as Norton Ghost. There's a Server Edition as well, for large scale system deployment.

Clonezilla is free, it's very reliable and it's easy to use, even for someone with minimal Linux experience (like yours truly).

The only drawback I've seen so far is the inability to image NTFS partitions with minor file system issues (some cross-linked files, for example); the program reports the error and then exits. Maybe there's a way to override this behaviour, but I haven't found it yet. Otherwise Clonezilla works just fine.
Roelof Kotvis Bouwvereniging "Woningbelang" LinkedIn Profile