cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MakeBug
Champion Sweeper
I setup Lansweeper about half a year ago and we still have problems reaching all devices.
Mostly because of issues in our DNS-resolving as it looks.
However I don't think this should have influence to the LS-scanning but I know that Lansweeper runs it's scans using the clients name instead of the IP-address. Now I have ways to get the correct IP, but if I enter it into the asset-informations and rescan the client, it obviously tries to resolve the IP again and so it sets the IP back to the old/wrong one.

Is there any way I can prevent this from happening AND instead run a scan directly using a manually set IP-address?

I honestly can't wait for my team to fix the resolving problems. The current FlashPlayer updates are critical and I need to install them asap.

[OT]
We would also highly appreciate any help to optimize our DNS settings. The main issue is, that the entries are not correctly scavenged when a device leaves.
Example: device "A" is shutdown with the ip 10.xx.2.20 then the DNS entry is somehow only partly flushed so that device "B" which is connecting then, also gets 10.xx.2.20 BUT, the DNS resolution entry of device "A" still somehow exists. If I know try to reach "A" it responds with 10.xx.2.20 but in reality it has maybe 10.xx.2.80.

I attached the scavenging settings. Is there anything else they could try?
[/OT]
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper will use the DNS name or host name of Windows computers in order to contact them. Only if this wasn't scanned (yet), the IP will be used. Normally in that case you won't be able to deploy a package. Changing this order is not currently supported.

Possibly starting an immediate scavenging of stale resource records could help to investigate your DNS issue.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
fjca
Champion Sweeper II
At our shop we move a lot of machines around, so we also implemented DNS scavenging some time ago, I've kept these two URL's that explained the process in more detail:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2008/03/19/don-t-be-afraid-of-dns-scavenging-just-be-patient.aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd197552%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Lansweeper will use the DNS name or host name of Windows computers in order to contact them. Only if this wasn't scanned (yet), the IP will be used. Normally in that case you won't be able to deploy a package. Changing this order is not currently supported.

Possibly starting an immediate scavenging of stale resource records could help to investigate your DNS issue.