cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davepusey
Engaged Sweeper II
In our options, we have it set to "Set assets to non-active if not seen in the last [30] days."

However we found 395 Windows assets whose last seen day was greater than 30 days ago.

Why are these not being changed to non-active automatically?

Have run the following SQL for now to fix it, but shouldn't have had to...

UPDATE [tblAssetCustom]
SET [State] = 2
WHERE [AssetID] IN
(
SELECT [tblAssets].[AssetID] FROM [tblAssets]
INNER JOIN [tblAssetCustom] on [tblAssets].[AssetID] = [tblAssetCustom].[AssetID]
WHERE [Assettype] = -1 AND [Lastseen] < (GETDATE() - 30)
AND [State] = 1
)
16 REPLIES 16
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
MikeT wrote:
Susan.A, I think it may help to explain to your development team why that workaround does not meet our use case...

We are busy each month ensuring that several thousand windows assets receive monthly updates and other critical patches. When our regional teams are chased up for outstanding machines not yet patched they may realise that an asset has been taken out of use temporarily and the AD account is then disabled. This action needs to be reflected in the reporting within a short period of time - not waiting, say, 30 days to trigger a cleanup in LANsweeper.

Also there are other types of machine that might not be on the network for an extended period - these are exactly the ones we need to chase up to ensure patching, if we allow LANsweeper to remove them automatically from reporting after, say, 30 days , then we would end up with reports that look very good but are actually not showing the unpatched machines which are still enabled in AD and could be returned to the network at any time.

Hopefully this can be fed into your evaluation process and a hotfix approved more quickly than next major release

Thank you for the additional context, which I'll make sure is relayed to our developers. Just as a general tip in regards to non-active machines that come back online: if you haven't already, I would recommend enabling the below cleanup option under Configuration\Server Options to ensure these machines are automatically set to active again.

"Automatically make non-active assets active when they are rescanned"
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
correction: that would skew more than just 'active' filter... my bad
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Also - Esben, can you see if you can escalate this issue? I would be in the same boat if I upgraded, and that would skew every report that has the filter of 'active'

I'll also report this to support to ask to escalate - surely LS knows that if it messes up everyone's reporting, it defeats the whole purpose of LS.

MikeT
Engaged Sweeper II
Here is the initial response from support with the bug number...

What you are reporting in regards to the "set to non-active if disabled in AD" cleanup option is a known issue. The option is currently non-functional. Unfortunately, we don't have an estimated release date for a fix yet. As we will be overhauling the server options in 7.2 (our fall release) anyway, the fix may have to wait until then. The issue has reference LAN-2974 in our system and will be referred to as such in our changelog once fixed: https://www.lansweeper.com/changelog/

Unfortunately, there is nothing more we can recommend at this point apart from using a different cleanup option under Configuration\Server Options to clean up your machines, e.g. "set to non-active if not seen in XX days". The aforementioned issue LAN-2974 is caused by a problem in the scanning service code and as a result, cannot be circumvented. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this.
JacobH
Champion Sweeper III
Thanks for letting us know - I'm following this thread. Can you keep us posted as to progress?
MikeT
Engaged Sweeper II
We have observed a similar problem with assets which are disabled in AD no longer being set to non-active in LANsweeper - this causes havoc with some of our reporting.

I reported it to support who responded that it was a known issue (we are at V7.1.110.5) - but that a fix would be months and not available until 7.2 is released.

Not at all happy about that as this is a fundamental part of interaction with the AD - was working fine in 7.0. Why can a fix not be provided more quickly for this ?
davepusey
Engaged Sweeper II
And now it seems even my SQL fix isn't permenant as they've started to reappear.

Running the SQL again has changed 331 assets.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?