cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Boo
Engaged Sweeper
Hi

We have around 700 Linux thin clients not member of any domain.
These are registered as devices, thats ok - but in order to use VNC as remote control, it's necessary to start VNC using the device name {computer}, rather than the IP address, as it may have changed since the latest scan of the device.

The current workaround is to call a VNC action without any parameter, leaving is to the supporter manually to enter the name (eg. UDC-1820).

4 REPLIES 4
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Please try the latest version 4.2 beta, which uses a mac address for devices. You can find it here.
Ponchohobono
Champion Sweeper
Yeah, having a device's IP address as the unique identifier is causing me all kinds of issues.
Thanks, Patrick http://patrickhoban.wordpress.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my opinion this is also a problem for printers, we use dynamic ip's (DHCP) for most of our devices and computers, so when I add details to a device, if the ip of the device changes, all data gets messed up. can it be changed to the hostname instead of IP?
Boo
Engaged Sweeper
BullGates wrote:
In my opinion this is also a problem for printers, we use dynamic ip's (DHCP) for most of our devices and computers, so when I add details to a device, if the ip of the device changes, all data gets messed up. can it be changed to the hostname instead of IP?

Another thing. If a device changes IP, it causes a new entry. Maybe some other data than IP should identify a network device, but I can imagine it's not an easy task to identify network devices 100%.