1) Event viewer summary
2) Report and alert E-mailing
3) Helpdesk
4) ...
313 REPLIES 313
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
BullGates wrote:
For laptops there is always a problem to get the inventory data, specially if they connect only by vpn or by wireless without running the login script. Wouldn't it be possible to make an helper tool that autoruns every time, and tries to ping the LS server then only when the ping is successful, it runs the scan and quits?

I will make such a tool if you don't but I didn't had the time yet...

Lsclient could do this for you.

1) disable firewall
2) launch lsclient.
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
Sticky : my #4 was more of wanting a box on the webpage that I can type in a SQL query directly, but your idea sounds good, as well

Oh yeah, add 'custom graphs on the dashboard' somewhere on my list.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You can do (2) with the report builder.
Engaged Sweeper III
Off the top of my head (based on what I'm currently struggling with!)

1. The option to provide parameters to reports (e.g. a report to display hosts missing a patch could take the KB number as a parameter). I think similar to taeratrin's 4) option.
2. Option to export reports to csv/tsv/xml/pdf/excel. Currently I copy the html, paste into excel and then clean it up
3. Automatic device status updates (e.g. devices that haven't been able to resolve for say a week automatically get changed to 'non active'
4. Option on reports to only include devices of a certain state (e.g. active, non-active etc). Could be a standard parameter across all reports.
5. Options to auto-archive/purge old data (e.g. non-active device not updated > 6 months)
6. Access permissions, e.g. Admin/editor/read-only (taeratrin 5).

Will edit this post as more things will no doubt come to mind :-).

Michael
hawk
Engaged Sweeper
A very good thing would be:

Hardware change detection/alert/history.

Best regards!
Mecanova
Engaged Sweeper
1. OU-based license reporting (how many licenses per software per OU)
2. Better file-scanning feature (wildcards, global variables to be added)
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
HelpStar. Users can send requests via e-mail or through a web interface. Multiple 'buckets' can be setup, and business rules assigned for automagically sorting new calls into buckets based on content/user/etc. It has a built-in asset discovery, but it's somewhat limited (LS does a better job here). Also has project management and purchasing orders. There's a Knowledge Management section where you can place solutions to common problems. And, of course, reporting functions for it all.

When you mentioned defining the scope of your helpdesk earlier, this would fall on the 'very complex' side of things. The only two problems I have with it are the asset discovery and the fact that there's no management tools (actions) built-in.
taeratrin
Champion Sweeper
1) WMI methods. Install/uninstall MSI, start/stop services, create/kill processes, etc. I know this can be handled through scripting, but having it built-in would save alot of time.

2) Ability to select multiple computers to run an action against.

3) SNMP functionality. Being able to see what network printers are low on toner or have other errors is a must. Viewing the status of various routers would be handy, as well.

4) Custom run-once reports built into the webpage.

5) Role-based access. Some people we want to be able to look at the information, but not run actions.

6) Software deployment. This would really just be a combination of 1 and 2, but on a larger scope.

I'm leaving helpdesk off my list because we already pay for a decent one, and our office has been using it for too long to switch to something else.
taeratrin wrote:

5) Role-based access. Some people we want to be able to look at the information, but not run actions.

This one is HUGE for me. One thing I don't understand is that it seems anyone can access the Lansweeper URL if they know or can guess the port number.

I would like to be able to have some users able to access Client computers, but not all of our Servers, and other users to have full access.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
tvbowman wrote:
taeratrin wrote:

This one is HUGE for me. One thing I don't understand is that it seems anyone can access the Lansweeper URL if they know or can guess the port number.

Access to the web console can already be restricted as described in this knowledge base article.

tvbowman wrote:
I would like to be able to have some users able to access Client computers, but not all of our Servers, and other users to have full access.

Role based access is planned for version 5 of Lansweeper. We currently have no release date for this version.