cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bajascot
Engaged Sweeper
We use laptops out in the field that are not part any domain. There is a common admin password and each laptop has a unique name.
So far I have had no luck getting the lsclient to work properly on these laptops. The client installs, and says it is connected to the server. The server itself sees the client but does not get complete information. On the client details page in the Web Console, there is an error tab that displays this error:

Regerror Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation. TestLaptop (192.168.0.74)

Errorlog.txt show this:

5/15/2008 3:47:03 PM : TestLaptop
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80072116): Name translation: Could not find the name or insufficient right to see name. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072116)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Lansweeper31.sweeperthread.LSADusersearch(clsComputer mycomputer, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80072116): Name translation: Could not find the name or insufficient right to see name. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80072116)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateCall(Object o, Type objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateCall(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean[] CopyBack, Boolean IgnoreReturn)
at Lansweeper31.sweeperthread.LSADusersearch(clsComputer mycomputer, clsThreadinfo Threadinfo, SqlConnection& sqlcon)
TestLaptop\Administrator

and Connection Test results:

Ping test OK
-----------------------------------------------
Remote registry test FAILED
Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.
Remote WMI access test FAILED
Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
Remote \\TestLaptop\c$ access test FAILED

My assumption right now is that the firewall is not an issue, but maybe a permissions issue? If so, any pointers on how I could resolve this?

The product has otherwise worked flawless for me and I really appreciate the work you have done.

Thank you for your time
3 REPLIES 3
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You could try creating a user on the portables with the same name as the account running the service and the same password (worked in NT4)
bajascot
Engaged Sweeper
are there any suggestions you might be able to offer to get this to work?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
It is a permissions issue.
You have to make sure that the account running the lansweeper service has administrative permissions on the clients (which is difficult if they are not in a trusted domain)