cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfierema
Engaged Sweeper
Hello,
very often, we purchase new laptops, install them and then hand them off to a customer who doesn't always work in the office.
As part of the laptop provisioning procedure, we would like to be able to scan the device immediately after setup, while it is still connected to the LAN.
Is it possible to scan a computer based on an IP address, just so that we can pull it into the lansweeper database?
This function should also be available from the webconsole so it can be executed by helpdesk staff.

regards,
Dirk
4 REPLIES 4
dfierema
Engaged Sweeper
understood, thanks for your swift response.

regards,
Dirk
dfierema
Engaged Sweeper
Yes, they're internal employees. The only problem is that sometimes they just take the laptop and leave for several weeks, meaning we don't get the device immediately into the database.
I also thought of LsPush, but I would like to avoid having to manage a client on all Windows devices. I'm not sure whether there is an easy procedure when a new LSPush client is released?

On a side-note, could you explain how the schedule for the domain scan (computers) works? It mentions in the documentation that it can take up to 15 minutes before a device is found. Do you scan the domain continuously?

regards,
Dirk
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
dfierema wrote:
I also thought of LsPush, but I would like to avoid having to manage a client on all Windows devices. I'm not sure whether there is an easy procedure when a new LSPush client is released?

If the laptop is not part of a domain or workgroup, there is really no way to scan it other than with a client on the machine. If a new version of Lansweeper is released and you have updated your main installation, you will have to give your employees the updated LsPush.exe to avoid any conflict.

dfierema wrote:
On a side-note, could you explain how the schedule for the domain scan (computers) works? It mentions in the documentation that it can take up to 15 minutes before a device is found. Do you scan the domain continuously?

With Active Scanning, Lansweeper queries all domain controllers in the domain every 15 minutes for newly logged on computers. New computers that are found are added to the scanning queue at most once every 20 hours (once every 8 hours in older versions of Lansweeper).
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
dfierema wrote:
Hello,
very often, we purchase new laptops, install them and then hand them off to a customer who doesn't always work in the office.

Just to clarify: these are employees? Be aware that Premium and Enterprise licenses must remain within a single company.

An immediate scan of a new machine that is not part of a domain or workgroup cannot be performed through the web console.

What you can do is scan the computer using LsPush. More information on these scanning methods can be found on page 32 and beyond of our online documentation.