cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjung
Engaged Sweeper
We use group policy for all user configurations on our domain instead of login scripting. How do you suggest I push the lsclient.exe (SERVERNAME) command to the clients? A batch file, an .msi file, etc.?
7 REPLIES 7
rickca
Engaged Sweeper
You push the LSCLIENT.EXE to the client computers.

You would place LSCLIENT.EXE in the "script" field and use the IP address of the server running the LSSERVICE/LSCONSOLE/LSWINAP.EXE

Yes, you can push the LSCLIENT.EXE via the STARTUP Script in a GPO but you most likely won't get the results you want because a user is not technically logged on at that time. I have gotten mixed results running from there. I ended up using the LOGON Script setting.
tjung
Engaged Sweeper
So are you recommending that I either push the lssservice or the lsclient.exe to the entire domain for the GPO to work?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
You should add the ipaddress (or servername) of the server running lsconsole.exe or lswinap.exe (or the service)
tjung
Engaged Sweeper
Also, could I add this script to the startup properties in Group Policy located in ComputerConfiguration\WindowsSettings\Scripts(StartUp/ShutDown) instead of the UserConfiguration\WindowsSettings\Scripts(LogOn/LogOff)?
tjung
Engaged Sweeper
Thanks for the feedback, do I enter the IP address of the server hosting the MSDE in the parameters field in the Logon string in Group Policy?
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Yes, you can use this or use the logon script setting under the profile tab of a user.
The loginscript can then be found under \\yourDC\netlogon
rickca
Engaged Sweeper
You don't need to create any batch files, msi files, etc...

In one of your GPO's select the following:

User Configuration\Windows Settings\Scripts (Logon/Logoff)

Double-click "Logon"
Click "Show Files..."

In the window that opens, copy the LSCLIENT.EXE file there. Close the window. Back in the "Logon Properties" window, click the "Add" button.
Click the "Browse" button in the "Add a Script" dialog and select the LSCLIENT.EXE file that you just copied over. Click "OK" and "OK" again.

Now when the users logon, the LSCLIENT.EXE program will run (as long as that GPO you modified is applied to the SITE/DOMAIN/OU the user is in).