cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apap
Engaged Sweeper III
We updated Lansweeper to 5.3.0.13 late last week and since then almost every free ip address that we scan has been added into LS as a network device. These are just free ip addresses, nothing there. I have more than 10,000 of these 'assets' in Lansweeper now.

Has anyone else experienced this since the last update? I am not sure how to fix this. I know of no other changes made other than the 5.3.0.13 update.

Tried the obvious, restarting the Lansweeper service and the server itself. Deleting assets and rescanning, they reconfigure themselves as a Network Device.

Any help or direction appreciated,

Thanks
Andrew
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
As an FYI for all: Our development has confirmed a bug in the scanning procedure of IP addresses which don't return anything. This will get visible if you have enabled the "No Ping" option. The fix of this bug will be implemented in one of the next Lansweeper releases. We recommend disabling the "No Ping" option for now and testing it again after 2-3 weeks with the latest update.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Michael_V
Champion Sweeper III
Sorry to hijack this thread Daniel.

There is indeed a bug in the latest version.
What you are seeing is not expected behaviour.

Please contact us by e-mail and we will provide you with a fix.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
As an FYI for all: Our development has confirmed a bug in the scanning procedure of IP addresses which don't return anything. This will get visible if you have enabled the "No Ping" option. The fix of this bug will be implemented in one of the next Lansweeper releases. We recommend disabling the "No Ping" option for now and testing it again after 2-3 weeks with the latest update.
apap
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks for the info.
I ran a small scan test with and without the 'No Ping' option and verified that it does indeed add an asset page for every IP if the 'No Ping' option is enabled. I have turned this off and deleted all the Network devices. Life is good again.

HOWEVER, I am certain the 'No Ping' option has changed as of the 5.3.0.13 release !!

I know that we have always had the 'No Ping' option selected and never generated asset pages for every single IP. To verify this I installed 5.3.0.6 on a test server, ran a scan with and without the 'No Ping' option against a list of IP's I know are unused. NO asset pages were created. As you might guess, after updating to 5.3.0.13 and running the same test, asset pages were created for every IP once I selected the 'No Ping' option.

Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
If you enable the "No Ping" option, Lansweeper will generate asset pages for each and every IP. This is only recommended for certain IP ranges where you know that assets are using the IPs but for some reason you can't enable ICMP traffic or the assets can't reply to pings. What you experience seems to be expected behavior. We recommend disabling the "No Ping" option and deleting the assets with type network device.

Details on IP range scanning can be found in this KB article.
apap
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi Daniel,

The 'No Ping' option is set. They have always been set that way. The addresses that are added are not pingable, there is nothing at those addresses.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
@apap: We haven't been reported this issue. Under Configuration\Scanning methods, section IP Address Range scanning, did you tick "No Ping" and/or "Save Ping IP" for any IP range? Are the addresses which have been added as assets pingable?
jprateragg
Champion Sweeper
We upgraded to 5313 on Friday and our asset count is still sitting at the same number as it was on Friday. I went into a couple of our sites and there weren't any extra assets. So we're not having the same problem as you...or it just hasn't started yet for us.