cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfhallee
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi,

I was wondering why the dbuser needed to be sysadmin of the DB to be able to create db structure and such. I thought DB owner was enough for that.

Since there are more than one applications database on this server, Im kind of stressed to give those rights to an app DB user.

Anyone could give me some info about the right rights needed for installation?

Thanks for your time and have a good day!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Manually creating the database is not supported. You must let the Lansweeper installer create the database.
  • During installation sysadmin privileges are required, as the Lansweeper installer needs to create the database and database user.
  • Once the installation has completed, the Lansweeper Server and web server services will connect to the database with a newly created SQL user called lansweeperuser, which only has rights to the lansweeperdb database.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
There are no immediate plans to change the installer. If you select Windows authentication, the installation is attempted with the user who ran the installer; if you select SQL authentication, you can submit a specific SQL user to perform the installation with. Regardless of which option you choose, the user must have sysadmin privileges to perform the installation.
jfhallee
Engaged Sweeper III
Susan.A wrote:
There are no immediate plans to change the installer. If you select Windows authentication, the installation is attempted with the user who ran the installer; if you select SQL authentication, you can submit a specific SQL user to perform the installation with. Regardless of which option you choose, the user must have sysadmin privileges to perform the installation.

Ok thanks for the info! 🙂

jfhallee
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks I got this but I think it wouldnt be that hard to offer the choice in the setup to specify which user to use and which db to use if that user is dbowner. Anyhow, thanks for the answer and for your time. Lansweeper is really a great tool so far 🙂
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
Manually creating the database is not supported. You must let the Lansweeper installer create the database.
  • During installation sysadmin privileges are required, as the Lansweeper installer needs to create the database and database user.
  • Once the installation has completed, the Lansweeper Server and web server services will connect to the database with a newly created SQL user called lansweeperuser, which only has rights to the lansweeperdb database.
jfhallee
Engaged Sweeper III
Found out why. Gave the bd user sys admin over the DB cause he wants to create his own db. So what could be a modification in the installer is to be able to specify the already created DB with the good rights to use instead of having the setup create one.