cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steven___MAGIX
Engaged Sweeper II
I'd like to document our Backup Tapes in Lansweeper,

the idea was to add Tape-Assets, give them Names, scan the Barcode, attach a file list, attach the Catalogues etc..
Then link the backuped computer via "backuped by" to the tape. Seems perfect.

However, the asset Name / Serial Number / Barcode fields are not unique in Lansweeper, that means someone could (accidentally) create two Tapes where only one is allowed.

It seems a bit strange to me that none of thoses fields is "unique". Or am I using Lansweeper in a way that it's not intended for?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The only fields we use as unique IDs are the ones previously mentioned. Asset names, barcodes, serials and other custom field values don't have to be unique. Enforcing a name/barcode/serial policy is not possible, but you could create a report to list duplicate names/barcodes/serials.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Steven___MAGIX
Engaged Sweeper II
Thank you.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The only fields we use as unique IDs are the ones previously mentioned. Asset names, barcodes, serials and other custom field values don't have to be unique. Enforcing a name/barcode/serial policy is not possible, but you could create a report to list duplicate names/barcodes/serials.
Steven___MAGIX
Engaged Sweeper II
Is there any user editable field in the "edit asset" view, that must be unique? (so we could "abuse" it)

I know it's not a problem for LS but it may be a problem for us, if someone creates a tape with the same name twice... 😉

Or maybe a custom report will help... I'll try.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
We don't use asset names, serials or barcodes as unique IDs. A Windows computer's internal ID is its computer name/domain name combination. A non-Windows asset's ID is:
- Its MAC address, if scanned or manually provided.
- Its IP address, if no MAC address is available.
- A random string, if a MAC address or IP address is not provided.