cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SJ3ff
Engaged Sweeper

Good morning,

I am struggling to understand how I can group assets by type (laptop, desktop, server, thin client, etc.). If I try to change Asset Type from 'Windows' to Laptop (or Desktop), LS throws an error that I cannot change the Windows type. Right now, LS is using Windows for everything with a Windows OS (Servers, Laptops, Desktop, tablets, etc.). If I the assets list cannot show laptop or desktop, why is it an option? Also, how do we force LS to scan for asset type?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
StillGoing
Engaged Sweeper III

Yeah; Lansweeper are pretty fixed and they don't publish a lot of details on how they derive them. I don't really blame them; it is kind of the 'secret sauce' that makes their product work the way it does. Trade secrets, and all. There are definitely ways they could improve the experience, though, particular when a device is 'discoverable' via different protocols (i.e. wmi vs. snmp vs. whatever secrets they may use).

In the meantime reporting probably is your friend. One good sample report is the 'Windows: Laptops and desktops list' report, which uses the following to distinguish between the two:

Case
    When tblBattery.Win32_Batteryid Is Null Then 'Desktop'
    Else 'Laptop'
  End As [Desktop/Laptop]

There have been a lot of discussions about how to distinguish between servers vs. workstations; check out the winter challenge for a variety of suggestions. If you are just dealing with Windows systems, the tblComputersystem.Domainrole field is my go to. If you're dealing with a more varied install base things get murkier. 

I have tested this report. Idea of using battery status is not perfect. Any UPS which is connected to PC via USB will show. 

ErikT
Lansweeper Tech Support
Lansweeper Tech Support

@SJ3ff 

You can create custom reports to group your assets based on specific criteria, such as operating system or hardware characteristics. 
Once you have the custom reports built, run the report and you can trigger a scan for all assets in the report. 

The built-in report library already has many useful reports you can use. In addition, you can query our online report library Reports Library - Lansweeper IT Asset Management.

If you cannot find a report to get the results you are looking for, use one of the reports as mentioned earlier as a base and customize it to your own needs if desired. 
Make sure to edit the report and copy the code to a new report before making any customizations. This ensures that the built-in report remains untouched.