cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mdedmon
Engaged Sweeper II
I've seen some posts here mentioning how hard it is to report on software versions that are greater or lesser than in the reporting tool. It makes sense, since the version string can vary widely and is stored as characters.

So, with that said, does the file version logic in the Deployment also suffer from this restriction?

I'm trying to upgrade and downgrade versions of Citrix Web Receiver and the version numbers are like "14.9.0.2539". I'd like to upgrade any clients that are less than or downgrade any clients that are greater than.

I can't find any documentation detailing how this version logic works.
3 REPLIES 3
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
I had to test it myself to be sure. I have a file has product version 3.0 and file version 3.0.0.0

Test 1: Condition for has version 3.0. Success
Test 2: Condition for has version 3.0.0.0. Success

So long story short, it seems to not matter. I assume that it checks if either is equal.
mdedmon
Engaged Sweeper II
A follow up to this discussion. When choosing the Condition of "Has Version", is it looking at the "File Version" or the "Product Version" that you see in the properties details of the file?

I have a file that is a product version of "1.4.5" but the file version is "1.4.5.0".

Thanks!
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Unfortunately, all version comparisons suffer from that restriction. As you mentioned, since versions are not standardized it makes it hard to create a method that allows you to compare all possible variations.

What I would suggest is create a report that has all your criteria in it. This has the added bonus that you can check if the assets are correct and that you won't be deploying on the wrong assets.

If you are only dealing with specific version numbers as your case might be. You can still use the conditions as long as you keep in mind that you are comparing two strings.