→ The Lansweeper Customer Excellence Awards 2024 - Submit Your Project Now! Learn More & Enter Here

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fossy777
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi LanSweeper,

I was wondering for why there is no linkage between assets of type "VMware Guest" and the asset LS detects by scanning the guest directly. In both cases, the scanning server is able to see both, the IP address and the MAC address, but does not combine them to one asset or even link them to one, there is as far as I recognized no link between these assets.

Next question is then why do I have to pay a license for? It is the same "device", this case virtual one, and LS is or should be able to see this fact.

We are a company with many servers and if I now activate VMware host scanning, I could easily almost double my license cost for LanSweeper.

PS: some similar I would wish for remote management cards like iLO and the physical server. Also here, LS should be able (is?) to detect the fact that this is ONE asset (same serial number), but licensing sais TWO.

Am I right here? Is there an intention to change that?

BR, Jochen
6 REPLIES 6
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
In regards to the dynamic MAC assignment, this will indeed cause an issue because Linux assets are uniquely identified with their MAC address.

Windows computers are uniquely identified using a combination of their NetBIOS computer name and domain name. All non-Windows devices, including Linux are uniquely identified first by the MAC address and failing that, their IP address.

https://www.lansweeper.com/knowledgebase/how-lansweeper-uniquely-identifies-assets/

C14us
Engaged Sweeper
Have the same license issue
crashff
Champion Sweeper
I have this same issue with Linux VM's in Hyper-V.

Lansweeper cant track Linux VMs that already exist, and keeps creating new assets for them because of Hyper-V's dynamic MAC assignment.
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Both the VMware guest asset scanned through vCenter or ESXi and the VMware guest scanned directly should be scanned successfully. In general Vmware guest assets are merged with other assets in Lansweeper when they have a identical MAC address.
Fossy777
Engaged Sweeper III
Does asset merging work only if both assets got scanned successfully? Means does it fail if for example the Windows or Linux asset has a scan error because of wrong credentials? Or should this asset get merged anyway also then because of the identical name and / or IP address?

BR, Jochen
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Hey Fossy,

What your describing sounds like a asset merging bug with vCenter scanning. For this it's best you contact our support team to get it sorted or at least reported.

Obviously, there are not supposed to be 2 assets in Lansweeper for a VMguest.

ILO linking has been requested before and is on the wishlist. However, I do think that if it were to be implemented it would still be two separate assets since they are two separate physical machines with unique data. It would be similar to ESXi hosts and guest.