cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Berek
Engaged Sweeper
Hello, we've been using Lansweeper for a long time and while updating from and old version we got stuck in the process.
We tried also to uninstall it and then reinstall from scratch but we get stuck always at the same step (Running Postinstall task - Sharing Packageshare folder).

We also get a strange high CPU utilization from the wmiprvse process when this thing happens and we are forced to kill that process and the Lansweeper setup process.

Strangely Lansweeper seems working good anyway, if we reboot the server, but the next time we try to update it we get the same result.

Has anybody got into this same issue? How did you solve it?

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee

I'm 100% sure the culprit is Lansweeper (service). It happens always and only during the setup process (we did it 4-5 times).
We are using the Administrator account, I doubt it doesn't have the right permissions. However I will double check this too.

Thank you for your reply!

If the issues does remain I would suggest you contact our technical support by sending an e-mail to support@lansweeper.com, however I doubt anything can be done about the CPU usage. It might be that after updating Lansweeper instantly starts scanning. You could try to lower the amount of computer threads and IP threads in Configuration/Server Options and see if that has any effect. If that doesn't help than I don't know what is causing it. I can tell you for a fact that Lansweeper does not access WMI during installation.

If you do send an email to our technical support, please include the following:

• Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Service\Errorlog.txt, as present on your Lansweeper server.
  • Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Website\App_Data\web_errorlog.txt, if it exists.
  • Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Service\Lansweeperservice.exe.config.
  • Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Website\web.config.
  • The most recent install file from Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Install

Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
Wmiprvse.exe is used by all applications that use WMI. This can be Lansweeper or many others. Maybe this can help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/970067/you-find-high-cpu-usage-for-the-wmiprvse-exe-process-on-a-terminal-ser

If the installer gets stuck on Running Postinstall task - Sharing Packageshare folder. This would seem to indicate that maybe the user installing Lansweeper does not have the correct permissions on the computer to change sharing permissions on the packageshare folder.

The package share is used for deployments, the rest of Lansweeper might be working but I would assume that deployments will give back errors.
Berek
Engaged Sweeper
Charles.X wrote:
Wmiprvse.exe is used by all applications that use WMI. This can be Lansweeper or many others. Maybe this can help: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/970067/you-find-high-cpu-usage-for-the-wmiprvse-exe-process-on-a-terminal-ser

I'm 100% sure the culprit is Lansweeper (service). It happens always and only during the setup process (we did it 4-5 times).

I will have a look at that article, but our server runs on Windows server 2003.

If the installer gets stuck on Running Postinstall task - Sharing Packageshare folder. This would seem to indicate that maybe the user installing Lansweeper does not have the correct permissions on the computer to change sharing permissions on the packageshare folder.

We are using the Administrator account, I doubt it doesn't have the right permissions. However I will double check this too.

Thank you for your reply!

New to Lansweeper?

Try Lansweeper For Free

Experience Lansweeper with your own data.

Try Now