cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi,

Website Version: 5150
Service Version: 5.1.0.50

We're currently running the LanSweeper website and service on a frontend server, with an SQL DB located on our central DB cluster.

I need to replace the frontend server. What's the recommended procedure for this? Would it be possible to get the new server up and running with the website and service alongside the old server, so I can switch over to the new server at my leisure then decommission the old server?

Or can only one instance of the website/service be running at a time?

I've had a look at other similar questions on this forum but they mostly seem to deal with the database located on the server as well, or only partly address my scenario. Looking forward to any responses :).

Thanks
Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
On Lansweeper Enterprise/Ultimate, you can install several scanning servers parallel at any time. In other cases, you will be limited to only one. If you reinstall the service on another server, the first one will be disabled.

- Run the Lansweeper installer on the new server
- Select New Installation
- Select Advanced Install
- Uncheck New Lansweeper database. Leave only SQL server checked.
- Enter the connection details of your existing Lansweeper database.
- In order to disable the old scanning server and enable the new one, perform step 11 of this KB instruction, SQL server part

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks for the answers - finally got around to doing this.

In the end I updated LanSweeper to the latest version, so was able to follow the steps posted by Daniel.B (which is why I've marked his answer as the solution). Worked a charm.

I'd also mark Susan.A's answer as well if I could, but it seems only one answer is allowed.

Thanks
Michael
ukaussi
Engaged Sweeper
Just to clarify, will this move absolutely everything onto the new server so that the website looks identical with all the same customizations?

The server we initially installed on 2 months ago is having issues so we have to move it off to a new standalone server but we have spent hours customizing the CONFIGURATION section with IP range scanning, IP locations, custom reports etc.

Just want to clarify as the documentation in the SUPPORT section only refers to the DB aspect of the move and I think it is just as important to address the remainder of LS in the support document as this is what makes LS special, and why I recommended it to my new company and they purchased it.
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
ukaussi wrote:
Just to clarify, will this move absolutely everything onto the new server so that the website looks identical with all the same customizations?

This topic concerns the migration of the Lansweeper service and web console, not the database. To move all components (database, service and web console), follow the instructions in this knowledge base article: http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/17/move-lansweeper-to-different-server.html

All of your settings and reports are stored in your database. The only thing not stored in your database are custom images and docs, which can be found in: Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Website\actions, Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Website\Docs and Program Files (x86)\Lansweeper\Website\userpictures.

If you need further information, please start a new topic.
Engaged Sweeper III
Have just run the installer for v5.1, looks like the options are slightly different (there is no 'New Lansweeper Database' option).

In v5.1, if I select an Advanced Install with the Lansweeper Database and Use an existing SQL Server options selected, after I enter my connection details will that use the existing DB or delete it and recreate?

I'm presuming it'll be the former, but I'd rather have confirmation before I go ahead!

Thanks
Michael
Engaged Sweeper III
Thanks Daniel, will give that a try.

Presumably there's no problem with having the LanSweeper web interface running on multiple servers (temporarily)?
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
sticky wrote:
Presumably there's no problem with having the LanSweeper web interface running on multiple servers (temporarily)?

No, this is not a problem, though you should only do this for the duration of the migration. Running multiple consoles is unnecessary and could potentially lead to (display or unauthorized access) issues if you don't keep all consoles up-to-date or if you use different authentication settings for each.

sticky wrote:
In v5.1, if I select an Advanced Install with the Lansweeper Database and Use an existing SQL Server options selected, after I enter my connection details will that use the existing DB or delete it and recreate?

The latter. If you are using the 5.1 installer, DO NOT check the checkbox in front of "Lansweeper Database", or you'll be overwriting your existing database. Only tick: "Use an existing SQL Server", "Lansweeper Service" and "Lansweeper Website". It would actually be easier to simply use the 5.2 installer. Your database will automatically be upgraded to 5.2 if you install a 5.2 service. (Your old 5.1 console may have display issues if you don't upgrade it however.)

Full list of steps for moving the service and web console:
  • Delete or disable the Lansweeper Server service on the current server. (Set Startup Type to disabled.)
  • Execute the script below in the Lansweeper web console under Configuration/Scanning Setup/Database Scripts. Replace what’s marked in yellow, leaving the single quotes in the script.

use lansweeperdb
    GO

update tsysasservers set servername='NetBIOS name new server' where servername ='NetBIOS name old server'
    GO
    update tblassets set scanserver='NetBIOS name new server' where scanserver='NetBIOS name old server'
    GO

• Back up any custom images or docs stored in Program Files/Lansweeper/Website/actions, Program Files/Lansweeper/Website/Docs and Program Files/Lansweeper/Website/userpictures.
  • Delete or disable the web server (IIS or IIS Express) service.
  • Run the Lansweeper installer on your new server and configure it as previously mentioned. You’ll be prompted to point the installer to your existing database.
  • Copy any custom images or docs to your new server.
  • Update the Action Path in the Lansweeper web console under Configuration/Website Management/Asset Pages. Your Action Path determines where Lansweeper will try to locate your custom action scripts and executables.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
On Lansweeper Enterprise/Ultimate, you can install several scanning servers parallel at any time. In other cases, you will be limited to only one. If you reinstall the service on another server, the first one will be disabled.

- Run the Lansweeper installer on the new server
- Select New Installation
- Select Advanced Install
- Uncheck New Lansweeper database. Leave only SQL server checked.
- Enter the connection details of your existing Lansweeper database.
- In order to disable the old scanning server and enable the new one, perform step 11 of this KB instruction, SQL server part