cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdaniel
Engaged Sweeper III
We had an auditor here that I gave an IP to so he could scan our network. Lansweeper never detected his laptop as a new device. I manually tried scanning his IP and nothing ever displayed. I was able to ping the IP still though. Why wouldn't lansweeper detect his computer as a new device if I could ping it and tried to manually scan it? Any thoughts or ideas? I would say that he had some sort of firewall disallowing it to be scanned, but I was still able to ping it. He was here for a day using that ip. thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
By default, a successful ping is not enough in order for an asset to be generated for a machine. With default settings, an asset is only generated if some data can be pulled from the client machine. To have assets generated for all pingable IP addresses, the Save Pinged IP option must be checked for your IP ranges under Scanning\Scanning Targets. If this option were ticked, you would at the very least see an asset for the laptop in your Lansweeper installation.

You're likely aware of this, but to actually read information from the Windows computer without using our LsPush scanning agent, several other requirements need to be met as well. The computer's firewall must be properly configured and a credential with administrative privileges on the computer must be provided. More detailed Windows scanning requirements can be found in this article and scanning instructions in this article.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Susan_A
Lansweeper Alumni
By default, a successful ping is not enough in order for an asset to be generated for a machine. With default settings, an asset is only generated if some data can be pulled from the client machine. To have assets generated for all pingable IP addresses, the Save Pinged IP option must be checked for your IP ranges under Scanning\Scanning Targets. If this option were ticked, you would at the very least see an asset for the laptop in your Lansweeper installation.

You're likely aware of this, but to actually read information from the Windows computer without using our LsPush scanning agent, several other requirements need to be met as well. The computer's firewall must be properly configured and a credential with administrative privileges on the computer must be provided. More detailed Windows scanning requirements can be found in this article and scanning instructions in this article.