cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iurii
Engaged Sweeper II
Hello all,

My Lansweeper scan replaces one computer with another.
I don't use an agent.

I have: 
Server1 with ip: 192.168.1.10,
Server2 with ip: 192.168.1.20.
(server name and IP address are fictitious)

Server1 and Server2 is a virtual hyperv servers with Windows Server 2016.

I do a network scan in Lansweeper where I scan all assets from 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254. The option "Saved Pinged IP" is active.

Target Server1 and Server2 are present in the "Scanning Queue" in "Windows computer scanning" Target .

After scanning i have only one asset Server1 with IP 192.168.1.20 (which belongs to Server2), or asset Server2 with IP 192.168.1.10 (which belongs to Server1). And i don't have the MAC address of Server1 or Server2 in the list of All Assets.

I tried removing assets and rescanned - same result.

Other servers are scanned fine.

The testconnection.exe logs for Server1 and Server2 are identical:

Lansweeper Connection Tester 7.1.0.1

Scanning Lansweeper Service (on this machine)..
Version: 10.3.2.0

Pinging Server1/Server2
Ping ok.

Scanning TCP ports..
135 open (EPMAP)
139 closed (NetBIOS Session Service)
445 open (SMB)

Checking DNS..
Server1/Server2 resolved to: 192.168.1.10/192.168.1.20
If this is not correct, please check for DNS problems.

Checking reverse DNS..
192.168.1.10/192.168.1.20:
Server1.domain.local/Server2.domain.local

Scanning netbios (UDP)..
Could not scan netbios

Scanning netbios (445)..
Could not scan netbios

Scanning Active Directory..
operatingSystem: Windows Server 2016 Datacenter
operatingSystemVersion: 10.0 (14393)

Scanning WMI..
Computername: Server1/Server2
If this is not correct, please check for DNS problems

Operating system: Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Datacenter
\root\cimv2 Remote WMI access test OK

Operating system: Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
\root\default Remote WMI access test OK

Checking C$ Access
Deployment Folder: OK
Access Rights: OK

Checking Task Scheduler
Task was successfully scheduled
Task ran successfully

Task Deleted

Done.

With regards
Iurii

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rader
Champion Sweeper III

So I was going off of memory about how the asset detection happens and MAC address were a part of that routine. I didn't look to see where the MAC is stored on the asset page. I just assumed that it should be there as you can pull it for reports. My bad.

"To identify a name or domain change, rename detection by default compares the MAC address, model and serial number of the computer being scanned with MAC address/model/serial combinations already present in the Lansweeper database. From Lansweeper 9.2 onward, you can optionally enable a sub-setting of rename detection to only compare model and serial number, not MAC address. This can be useful in situations where your computers' network adapters also change."

https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/scanning-your-network/windows-rename-detection/ta-p/64311

Maybe this article will help after you remove the server assets from your inventory.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
rader
Champion Sweeper III

Personally when I remove an asset, I make sure to clear the IP (if assigned one), the MAC address (if assigned one) and change the Assetname to something else. You can also clear out any field not necessary to save the record. Then save it so that the linked tables have different information than what was previously there for that record.

Once that's done, then edit the asset you just changed and on the left side, select delete asset.

My thought process is that the asset may be tied to another table's record somewhere that is retaining old information and by changing multiple entries forces a refresh of old stale records. Granted that a simple change should refresh all the linked data, but I've been doing this too long to trust anything implicitly.

Good luck.

iurii
Engaged Sweeper II

How do you remove a MAC address? There is no MAC address field on the asset editing page.

rader
Champion Sweeper III

So I was going off of memory about how the asset detection happens and MAC address were a part of that routine. I didn't look to see where the MAC is stored on the asset page. I just assumed that it should be there as you can pull it for reports. My bad.

"To identify a name or domain change, rename detection by default compares the MAC address, model and serial number of the computer being scanned with MAC address/model/serial combinations already present in the Lansweeper database. From Lansweeper 9.2 onward, you can optionally enable a sub-setting of rename detection to only compare model and serial number, not MAC address. This can be useful in situations where your computers' network adapters also change."

https://community.lansweeper.com/t5/scanning-your-network/windows-rename-detection/ta-p/64311

Maybe this article will help after you remove the server assets from your inventory.

iurii
Engaged Sweeper II

The problem is with the serial numbers of the servers.
Thank you very much.

iurii
Engaged Sweeper II

How to delete all Server1 and Server2 data from Lansweeper?

rader
Champion Sweeper III

I do a network scan in Lansweeper where I scan all assets from 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254. The option "Saved Pinged IP" is active.
Target Server1 and Server2 are present in the "Scanning Queue" in "Windows computer scanning" Target .

It sounds like one scanning option is overwriting the scanned information from the other scanning option then. Try excluding both servers from the Windows scan. Scanning, Scanning Exclusions, Add Exclusion, Exclusion Type: Windows Computer, Reason: Other or what best suits your reason, Computer Netbios Name: {Server?}.

After a successful scan on the IP range, see what results show up. This may help identify what's going on.

rader
Champion Sweeper III

It sounds like you have a duplicate MAC address. Can you check that they are not the same?

iurii
Engaged Sweeper II

Server1 and Server2 have different MAC addresses.
Server1 or Server2 does not have a MAC address in the asset list after scanning.
Data in database tables:
- [lansweeperdb].[dbo].[tblAssets]: only Server1 or Server2 without MAC address
- [lansweeperdb].[dbo].[tblAssetMacAddress]: only one MAC address (Server1 or Server2)
- [lansweeperdb].[dbo].[tblADObjects]: both servers are present!
- [lansweeperdb].[dbo].[tblADComputers]: only Server1 or Server2!