cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jprateragg
Champion Sweeper
Our organization has 20 branch offices and one headquarters office. We are currently using IP Locations to track where each device is located. We have retired some workstations and would like to change the state to "Stock," but our only problem is I don't know where to specify the new location of the workstation. Should I create static a Asset Group for each branch and assign workstations to their respective group? Should we just use the Location field and just manually enter the location that way? What is the best way to handle this? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
How about the "Location" field? This can be modified via Edit mode or Mass change for each asset and locked if necessary. It will be visible on Asset overview lists as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jprateragg
Champion Sweeper
That may be the easiest solution--just to use the Location field and keep it simple. Thanks!
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
How about the "Location" field? This can be modified via Edit mode or Mass change for each asset and locked if necessary. It will be visible on Asset overview lists as well.
jprateragg
Champion Sweeper
I suppose we could do that, but I really don't want to have to remember an IP range for each of the four branches this would apply to. We really just want an easy way to see where the workstation is supposed to be, vs where the IP range says it currently is. This would also help us run reports detailing where workstations are assigned vs where they are currently located. I thought asset groups would be the answer, but I'm thinking that may not be the answer.
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
Ok, apologies for the misunderstanding. Possibly manually change the asset's IP address and add "stock IP ranges"?
jprateragg
Champion Sweeper
Hey Daniel--I know how to change it to being in Stock, I just don't how to handle the workstations' locations after we have taken them off the network. We typically don't keep workstations in the same location--we will bring them to one of four branches where we have an IT person. Thanks!
Daniel_B
Lansweeper Alumni
You could change the asset state to "Stock". In order to change an asset's state, open it's asset page, hit Edit asset and change the state. Hit Save Asset. Assets in a state other than Active won't be displayed on most web console pages and reports. If you would like to see them, open Assets and filter for assets in state "Stock".