→ The Lansweeper Customer Excellence Awards 2024 - Submit Your Project Now! Learn More & Enter Here

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
je_richardson
Engaged Sweeper
I've been researching the forum for a while now and I don't know if it's because I'm multitasking like crazy today or if I'm just crazy but I can't figure out something. Why aren't any of the fields populating after I do the lsclient myserver? I do that command (obviously putting the server name in place of myserver) and LANSweeper sees the machine but doesn't retrieve any information from it. I can't click any of the links on the action page or anything. I just set this up today so when I say I'm a newb, I mean I'm really a newb.

Thanks!!
14 REPLIES 14
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
mikev wrote:
It appears from what I can tell, that if you want to scan *right now*, the free version doesn't allow that, which is kinda lame. Seems you have to wait for some random time/checkin to occur. There is an lstrigger command for pay customers, but nothing for us checking it out.

This is completely untrue, the free version if fully functional.
You need to use lsclient.exe on your clients and the service will scan immediately.
If Lansweeper database contains your computer but no extra information, this means that the service is working but that it is unable to get any info from your computers.
For this use can use the connectiontester to check for permission/firewall problems.
mikev
Engaged Sweeper
Lansweeper wrote:
mikev wrote:
It appears from what I can tell, that if you want to scan *right now*, the free version doesn't allow that, which is kinda lame. Seems you have to wait for some random time/checkin to occur. There is an lstrigger command for pay customers, but nothing for us checking it out.

This is completely untrue, the free version if fully functional.
You need to use lsclient.exe on your clients and the service will scan immediately.
If Lansweeper database contains your computer but no extra information, this means that the service is working but that it is unable to get any info from your computers.
For this use can use the connectiontester to check for permission/firewall problems.

Ahh, interesting. I had just looked at "Lansweeper does not need to install a client on your workstations, all scanning is done through the use of WMI, fileshares and remote registry access." on your front page, and presumed I didn't need to run a client on the workstations.

I looked through the forums, and didn't find, but would suggest, a "sticky" post that answers some basic "how do I run my first scan" type questions. That would be incredibly helpful for folks getting started. Would also make sense to make it a part of the install -- a short "getting started" pdf/read me at the end that gave people the info to get going.

kaarde wrote:
\\server\share$\psexec.exe \\{computer} -u admin -p pass %LOGONSERVER%\NETLOGON\LSclient.exe myserver

This is what i use to do a "Scan Now" on the computer profile page so it pretty much renders lstrigger useless. I run this each time after uninstalling IBM Director and it does the refresh perfectly and in a metter on seconds. If you need help setting it up, msg me and i'll help out

Thanks -- not sure if I'll stick with lansweeper or not, but that's good info to know. For those who may be following this thread -- psexec is a Sysinternals (bought by MS) tools: Google if this is outaded: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

You can also download the pstools package which has other incredibly useful utilities.
je_richardson
Engaged Sweeper
I think what I need to do is the initial scan of systems that I keep seeing in other posts. I don't know how to do that.
je_richardson
Engaged Sweeper
I'm a little rusty on my SQL so bare with me here. When I set this up and I try to log into the management console, what usn/pwd do I use? These are all really old errors too. I can connect into the web console but nothing is updating. When I do the connection test it works fine.

6/3/2008 12:49:07 PM : Cannot connect to database, check your config file, will try again in 1 minute
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Login failed for user 'lssqluser31'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.
6/3/2008 12:50:07 PM : Cannot connect to database, check your config file, will try again in 1 minute
Login failed for user 'lssqluser31'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.
6/3/2008 12:51:07 PM : Cannot connect to database, check your config file, service will be stopped
6/3/2008 1:49:09 PM : Cannot connect to database, check your config file, will try again in 1 minute
Cannot open database "Lansweeper31" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'lssqluser31'.
6/3/2008 1:50:09 PM : Database connection successful, starting up service
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
1) Try the connectiontester.
2) Check for errors in the "errorlog.txt" in your service folder