cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Facilities
Engaged Sweeper III
Hi

Firstly I can't wait for version 4, I've just seen the screencast and there are already so many features that I can see myself using.

I think a great add on would be the ability to scan offsite machines without having a scanning server on the network. Perhaps some standalone updater or even an installable agent to run on the source machine.

We have a third of our users that are located at different clients running on the clients network infrastructure. So it's really impossible for us to manage or even add some sort of scanning server there (client conditions in contract agreements for security). Currently we still use the old style manual capture method which isn't really feasible or practical and takes hours to complete. Typically a user would run something like Belarc Advisor and then send us the report and then it’s a manual capture job. The data then sits in an excel spread sheet and we then sit with multiple data sets and our Lansweeper database.

Here is how I would see it working.

The offsite agent that could be scheduled to run on the local users pc or even be run by the user (under an admin or service account, maybe even the logged on user account as they normally have local admin permission).
The user can then be prompted for an output files which they can then send to the server/admin via email (any other way would also work but because they are on a client’s network we can't always get special connections so email would be the easiest transfer method). It would be even better if you could automate the email sending process but that is asking a bit much.
The server would then get the email and process automatically or a admin could get the email and process the file via some sort of input/bulk import mechanism on the website. The computers could be located in an offsite container instead of a domain name. It wouldn't be a problem if we had to install an agent to handle the scheduling or running of reports on the offsite clients.

When we need up to date information in a hurry we can always put pressure on the onsite project manager to ensure that the entire team complies and run’s the report and then we process in minutes and have full reporting capabilities.

I know it's not the typical wish but this would really ease a lot of pain and would make your software even more dynamic and flexible. It's already a great product but this would put the cherry on the cake.

Regards
Nick
3 REPLIES 3
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
Agent-based scanning is now possible with LsPush, included in Lansweeper version 4.2. Our latest 4.2 installer can be found here. Info on scanning with LsPush can be found on page 32 of our online documentation.
One full scan takes up just 40KB of traffic.
pnigit
Engaged Sweeper
I agree , I need it too ! I have about 20 locations over the world that isnt part of domains etc , they got very low internet links (satelites) , and connect to our data center from time to time via VPN's . Best solution for me to can install agent remote when user is connected to VPN in silent mode , for example using psexec . When computer is able to connect to LANSweeper service (agent tries to reach server from time to time) then it sends diffrential information or something .
kschrantz
Engaged Sweeper II
To expand on this a little.

I too have about 100 machines that are not permanently connected to the LAN. but the users do connect to the internet (and sometimes VPN in) to collect webmail and duties each morning so maybe have an agent that runs as a service and when an internet connection is detected it can pipe the inventory into the server.

Also, once the initial push is done, the client could push only changes on subsequent updates (some of these machines run on Aircards so bandwidhh is limited