cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PierreM
Engaged Sweeper III
I'm starting this post on the premiss that no one cares for 95% of the discovered software. That being said, it doesn't mean that all discovered software shouldn't be tracked by LANSWEEPER. In my case, we have over 1500 pieces of discovered software and this number will continue to grow. The idea is to remove the clutter and be able to generate reports that are concise with valuable information.

Please look at the included JPG while reading this post. It will help you understand what I'm trying to say.

With this new tab in the configuration utility, an administrator would be expected to regularly review this tab for newly discovered software so they can act on how this new software should be categorized. The frequency for reviewing this tab would be dictated by the number of days the administrator sets for highlighting new software in green.

By flagging a software program as "not approved" means that it wasn't paid for or that you don't want it installed on a computer. If the software is flagged as "Approved", it is either free or it is licensed.

The top portion of the JPG deals with default values for newly discovered software. The bottom portion of the JPG shows the current value(s) for each peice of software and provides an administrator the ability to change the value(s).

Based on these new values, I would rename the current report "All installed software" to say "All discovered software". A new report called "All installed software" would only include the software flagged as "displayed". Other reports can be created to reflect various combinations of these flags.

This is just an idea that will hopefully trigger other ideas in this great forum.
2 REPLIES 2
Kboyer
Engaged Sweeper III
Yes We also are looking for away to "filter" out the high percentage of software that we do not care about.
3 categories come to mind.
ALLOWED - do not want to see on reports or webpage
This would include all hotfixes, SPS,
or software that is enterprise wide on all PCs
ALLOWED - Want to see on all web pages and reports
NOT ALLOWED - includes all user installed

Currently we created another table and refernce that as a (NOT IN) query but it is not very friendly to manage the lists.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The Configuration\Allowed Software section of the configuration console will be reworked for Lansweeper version 5.0 so that you can more easily track which software packages are unapproved and which ones are new. We do not yet have a release date for Lansweeper 5.0.
License compliance managment will also be expanded.

Kboyer wrote:
ALLOWED - do not want to see on reports or webpage
This would include all hotfixes, SPS,
or software that is enterprise wide on all PCs

This will probably not be implemented, as not displaying scanned software information could easily cause confusion.