cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
for example on subscriptions, how about the email addresses tied to the subscription or the amd/pwd for logging in if it is the kind I can assign. how about renewal date?
also, I want to know if I can add custom fields to software so I can put something like "mission critical" or "for Finance/Dev/Qa" etc so we can identify what dept uses this software?
I realize some of these sorta can be done if we cannibalize certain fields but its not the same.

another example, msdn subscriptions are per user or adobe ones are per email address, they all expire at different dates, the report for license compliance does not take that stuff into account. just trying to make things better, it is not too far off from being very useful.

also, store apps for apple, and windows at least....those would be possible to track to right?

thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Esben_D
Lansweeper Employee
Lansweeper Employee
The functionality is not included at the moment to create assets from software. However, this is certainly something that we are looking into. Exchange scanning is an example of software as an asset, and we'll be extending this in the future.

As you mentioned, there are some workarounds for software custom fields, but they are far from optimal. The ideal thing I think is to simply have software as an asset with custom fields as this would seem the most obvious method.

As far as store apps go, the reason they are currently not scanned is because they both Apple and Microsoft store information about software in different locations depending if it's store software or not. I'm not sure how hard it is to get this information as I'm not a developer, but I do know it requires an addition to our scanning procedure of Macs and PCs.

As for licensing, I found that it is much more complex than I expected. The mount of different licenses and how they are handled, renewed, linked etc. It's pretty crazy. Making a complete license compliance module would be great, but so it the development time required to make it.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'll link your topic to the existing feature request.
AZHockeyNut
Champion Sweeper III
Charles.X wrote:
The functionality is not included at the moment to create assets from software. However, this is certainly something that we are looking into. Exchange scanning is an example of software as an asset, and we'll be extending this in the future.

As you mentioned, there are some workarounds for software custom fields, but they are far from optimal. The ideal thing I think is to simply have software as an asset with custom fields as this would seem the most obvious method.

As far as store apps go, the reason they are currently not scanned is because they both Apple and Microsoft store information about software in different locations depending if it's store software or not. I'm not sure how hard it is to get this information as I'm not a developer, but I do know it requires an addition to our scanning procedure of Macs and PCs.

As for licensing, I found that it is much more complex than I expected. The mount of different licenses and how they are handled, renewed, linked etc. It's pretty crazy. Making a complete license compliance module would be great, but so it the development time required to make it.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I'll link your topic to the existing feature request.

Thanks for listening @CharlesX! 🙂
If you want help with the module/design/testing/user feedback, send me a message. Happy to help make the product better. This tool has been instrumental in helping us achieve ISO 27001:2013 accreditation So it's got high priority here! 🙂
Just so I do not open a different thread (I will if you want)
is there a way to report software per user and not per machine? So perhaps I could match some stuff up that is user based (I can use probably the owner field or something and match off user name or email address I assume. I will come up with that part but I could use a push in the right direction.