cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pollak
Engaged Sweeper III
Does any one know the reg key for the user's default pritner. I did find the following key but when try to create a report the results are about 90% microsoft XPS Document Writer and a few PDF995. I know this is wrong as we do not defualt users to these.

Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Device

Here is a screen shot of my configuration.

Please advise,
Niles
5 REPLIES 5
DGoodwin
Engaged Sweeper
Let me ask a question. Is there a way to scan for a value in any key or sub key in the entire registry? Could you implement a scan tool that would list all values given in any registry key? That would be extremely useful because it would traverse all keys.
Pollak
Engaged Sweeper III
NEWT Pro 2.5 can pull the default printer using direct Windows API. Is there a way to implament the direct Windows API into Lansweeper (not NEWT Pro)? I am still a little confused as to why my reg key search does not work?

Please advise,
Niles
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
NEWT Pro 2.5 can pull the default printer using direct Windows API. Is there a way to implament the direct Windows API into Lansweeper (not NEWT Pro)?

No, only WMI can be used.

I am still a little confused as to why my reg key search does not work?

See my previous answer.
Hemoco
Lansweeper Alumni
The HKEY_CUrrent_user points to the user performing the scan, not to the user logged on at the moment.
rkotvis
Engaged Sweeper
According to this article you're looking at the right value:

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/14523/where-in-the-registry-is-the-default-printer-set.htm...

As far as I can tell, this is only true for user installed printers. Printers deployed by Group Policy Preference only show up in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections, for example. I guess the same might be true for printers deployed using VBS or other scripting techniques.
Roelof Kotvis Bouwvereniging "Woningbelang" LinkedIn Profile